Low Grade Hummmmmm

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SkazzyUK, Oct 11, 2002.

1. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

Anyone wanna help me out here,

I bought a pc a while back ( bout 5 Months ago) it came with some pants speakers (new but just standard).

I never used them, just chucked em in my cuboard and bought some 5.1 ones.

Anyway, I bought a pc today and its has onboard sound ( I saw it working before I bought it with their speakers) I got my old speakers out shoved em in and i get a hum, the don't hum if they are not plugged into the soundcard ( even when powered) but as soon as they go in they hum

its not the wrong port, I can still hear music but very bad quality, I don't think they are busted - they are the type that plug into the power cable that goes into your pc

Any help would be appreciated,

SkaZZy:D

2. the_tazinator

the_tazinator Are we there yet?

What if you try swapping speakers on your systems to see if the hum follows the speakers or stays with the machine?

3. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

If I didn't know any better, it sounds like a loose ground wire. Or it kinda sounds like how some sound cards can put out digital or analog to the output port depending on how you set it up. Maybe it's on digital output?

If I remember right, you can check by opening the volume control and selecting Advanced from the Options menu. There should be a checkbox where you can select digital output or not. If it's not there, check the sound properties through control panel.

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

also select the speaker setup type as in desktop speaker (2) quadraphonic, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or whatever you want to do...

make sure you check the correct one there...

I doubt its the problem but no harm in finding out....

control panel > sounds and you can see it there... :)

5. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Not trying to flame you and I know this sounds stupid - but just another option - do you have the speaker jack pushed in all the way?;)