Losing Internet

gillmacca

Macca
I didnt know where to post this,so I thought i would try here.
I have my pc networked to a second pc, via network cards, on broadband.
Randomly, my computer will lost internet access (web pages will not load), msn messenger will not connect, and forte agent will not connect, but ms outlook will still retreive emails (but not from hotmail), and kazaa and emule still connect, search and download.
On the second PC, internet access is still possible.
The only way to resolve this is with a reboot (disconnecting modem for 1 min does not help)
Any suggestions on what is causing it, and how to fix it?

Many thanks for your help

actually it sounds like your modem is going ... is it cable access?? if so call them and tell them.

Is it your main computer or secondary computer that looses connection. Most cable companies wants you to buy a second ip address to have more than one connection, and they do check on their connections. Read your contract with them to see if that is the case.

I regularly check for spyware, so I no it is not that.
I have only had the modem just over a year, and its not cable, its ASDL.
It is the main computer that keeps losing connection, and my isp allows sharing without need for a second ip

I was having the same kind of problem except the main pc kept the internet connection but the other 2 on the network lost it completely.
We did everything we could thing of to sort it out but nothing would fix it.
After no access on the other computers for weeks we were out of ideas so we tried the "Network setup wizard" and that fixed it straight way.
Still have no idea how it changed but it did :confused: :D

Questions:

1) are you using a Router to connect both computers?
or a straight workgroup?
2) DO you use a firewall (if so, are your settings correct?
3) ADSL (Does it use a PPPoe gateway to connect?)

:)

no, i am using a crossover lead (or whatever it is called) to connect both computers.
I use Norton Firewall 2004, and have tried various settings with no luck.
Don't know about PPPoe, how do I find out?

i've had that problem, or a problem very similar to it. try typing ipconfig /flushdns in the command window, wait like 5 seconds and see if you can connect.

as you are in the uk you should not really be using pppoe, afaik, there are no uk bb providers which use that, it is all pppoa

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back