Looking for another case fan

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eck, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Eck

Eck .user

After only about a year of constant use, my Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II has apparently went out. Now, I need (want) a new case fan. I'm looking for some recommendations on an 80 or 90mm case fan. It should be fairly quiet (don't want to hear it over my already waayyy loud GeForce FX 5900), and have a good cfm rating. I can't really get one that auto adjusts itself according to how hot the cpu is since there's nowhere to put the sensor on my new heatsink.

Any recommendations?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

panoflo's quiter fans are nice or if you get a 92mm one.. try out zalman... the cfm may not be as great as a delta but they are pretty decent for silent fans

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

you say 80mm or 90mm (aka 92mm). your case will take either one? if so, be sure to get a 92mm fan. the bigger the better as you'll get less noise and move more air.

4. Eck

Eck .user

Yeah, my case exhaust takes both 80 and 92mm. That's why I specified :D

I'm looking at this vantec stealth fan. It seems like it'll do the job.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

unless you have or are going for a super-quiet setup, i'd get a fan that moves more like 40cfm of air and will makes maybe 30db of noise (which is still very quiet).

6. Fenris

Fenris OSNN Senior Addict

vantec stealth fans are good i guess i got one for my computer. Its just for my Hard Drive though. My hard drive runs hot so i put a fan there for it. Anyway i like the fans you cant hear them at all at there max speed even with the cover off the case. all i can tell you about the air flow with them is that if you put your hand in front you can feel a good amount of air being pushed around, but i didnt need much since i already had 3 other fans.

7. Eck

Eck .user

Well, I can't go for a super quiet setup since I've got this GeForce FX 5900. It's so freakin' loud. I just don't want to hear this fan over it.

8. Eck

Eck .user

So maybe something like this globe fan would be better? 52.25CFM and 32.8 dBA.

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, that's better. and it still won't be heard over your 5900. :)