Looking for 1GB USB HD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Teddy, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Any suggestions on where i can get hold of a 1GB portable USB HDD?

Many thanks!

2. jumpy

jumpy Guest

I think the best thing would be just to buy a usb drive enclosure, and then a 1gb hdd second hand. Might be better to get a little faster and bigger hdd though.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

if 1gb is all you're after, there are a couple different usb memory drives that are offered in that size. they won't be very cheap, though. i'll see if i can find a couple.

the bad thing about jumpy's idea is that you would have a large, heavier thing to transport, as well as a power adapter to plug in. if you find a memory drive, it will be the size of a large key, way more durable, and won't need any extra equipment. but, again, more expensive.

depends which way you wanna go.

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

5. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Damn, I've had lots of bad ideas lately. :(
    Just depends on your needs really.

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

like i said, if it's a money issue, then finding an older external usb harddrive for under $100 would be the way to go. those 1gb usb keys go for $300+, last i checked.

7. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

Its for when i go travelling..i plan to get a new digital camera and intend to take lots of pictures. I am now thinking that something smaller (256-512) would be more suitable. What about:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47503

Is this good?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions about the storage.

Does anyone here have any tips for a great digital camera (£250 ish)?

Thanks again!

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

if you just want it to store images from your digital camera, just get a camera that uses removable flash memory. for instance, my olympus d-230 uses smartmedia cards. their about $30 a pop at 128mb each. other types of flash media come as big as 512mb or more. get a camera that uses the type you want.

9. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i have an old in good shape seagate ide drive if u wanna buy it

10. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

You could always get an Iomega Jaz drive, with the old ones holding 1 GB and the new ones holding 2 GB. They were designed to be as fast as a hard drive.

Melon