logs on everything!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Laws, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Laws

Laws Guest

im looking for a programme that logs everything done on the computer. the less discrete it is the better - not too fusy.

Don’t know if those qualities are often found in logging software but I haven’t got a clue on where to start looking for one, any suggestions?

(maybe this should be in security? Sorry if so)

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

everything? What exactly? File Access, Internet Usage?

Everything is a whole lot of logging.

It sounds as if your looking for a form or spy software or key logger. If thats the case we provide help to you here.

3. Laws

Laws Guest

thats the thing, i want it on my computer, so i know if any one physically came on to my computer and did any thing. or accsessed it thru the wireless netwrok that i have setup at home...

hense me not minding if it clearly has a icon in the task bar stating 'logging' or even a pop screen at start up.

4. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Right. What's your operating system?

5. Laws

Laws Guest

winXP, winME and win2000

thinking about doing a clean zero format and having just winxp and win2000.

gonna have win2000 to do my secret stuff and dont want that to be online and XP for other uses. (i.e. games, what ever)

6. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

7. Laws

Laws Guest

having a look at it, but was thinking about some thing that wasnt microsoft related.

8. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

There are 3rd party apps like "ispynow" which log most activity. But it seems pointless to do if it is truly for your own system. If as you say your worried about your WLAN connection you should focus more on intrusion prevention rather than detection.

9. Laws

Laws Guest

well i actually suspect users on my own network to be gaining accsess to my computer and viewing files. means to prevent or log and catch em red handed are both good.

just need some suggestions on what apps to use, am desperete to format my hard drive! lol

EDIT: ispy looks cool but 50 quid :s surely there are cheaper solutions available?

10. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Microsoft's own Auditing would do that really well. You need to log users connecting to your system over the network and auditing does that. It can also log file and or directory access.

Perhaps you should not dismiss the built in auditing just because you don't want to use a MS solution ;)

11. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Move to Security at Enyo's request

12. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Thankyou Jewelzz :)

13. Laws

Laws Guest

the only thing i have against the built in audit is that theres likely to be a million and one ways to move past it un-detected? not that i dont trust microsoft :rolleyes:

14. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I would not worry about people getting into your PC. I would worry about making it so they can't. Set up security.

15. Laws

Laws Guest

ok, im getting norton anti-virus security 2003 tomorrow, will that do the job? </n00bish question>

16. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Umm, yes and no. I would not say thats a big issue however.

The only thing with auditing is it takes a little bit of time to setup right (mainly for auditing file access) so you would need to do some reading about it before being able to use it in the best way possible.

It is good however are you can tweak other settings around it to make the logs more secure.

17. Laws

Laws Guest

ahh thats another thing, theres prolly a stupid security flaw in there letting some prat on the net getting hold of the log files and veiwing everything i do on my computer. :(

id feel much safer with a 3rd part app.

18. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Your dis-trust of MS shocks me. But OK ;)

As i said earlier "ispynow" or similar.

You will have to google a bit to find one thats good for you.

And as i said at the start, we do not discuss them here as we don't know if the use of these products is legitimate (I am NOT saying i think your up to no good, thats just the way it is)

19. Laws

Laws Guest

ah - yeah, of course thats understandable.

...so lets move away from logging and on to prevention!

norton the best thing for that? what are some alternatives?

20. Enyo

Enyo Moderator