Little question

S

skauch

Can i reinstall Win98 SE without losing all i have on my disk and without losing my setting. For the setting it's not very important but for the data on my hard drive it's very important.

sKaUcH

You can't just install win98 and save your data if you had your harddrive as one big partition. if you had XP installed as it's on partition and data on another then yes you can. But as far as I know you can't just switch from xp to 98 otherwise

And also if you have your data on another partition or HD that you formatted to NTFS you will need to use a program like partition magic to convert it back to fat 32 because 98 cannot read NTFS

Simple answer, no. Windows will not allow you to go backwards.

It's because i took the Cd from a friend and i heard that XP will stop working after 6 months or higher and after that you have format the disk and reinstall. I don't know if it's true but it scare me a little bit. Please inform me more about this.

sKaUcH

your system will self destruct in "T-minus" 2 days.. or hit reboot now!

Save every important item you can on removable media (zip drive-cd burner, etc) unless you have just too much to make that feasible. Where the hell is Jonquiere ?

Originally posted by skauch
It's because i took the Cd from a friend and i heard that XP will stop working after 6 months or higher and after that you have format the disk and reinstall. I don't know if it's true but it scare me a little bit. Please inform me more about this.

sKaUcH

wait...is this a legit copy of XP? if so it should tell you how many days you have left till your required to activate and such.

did your upgrade from 98se?

you can downgrade if you upgraded.. it's an xp feature.. otherwise your screwed.. so if you upgraded your set... otherwise.. there's some ghetto ways you can do it...

I upgrade from 98 SE.
It doesn't say the number of day but a every moths or higher it tell me to change my password, so i change it and i'm ok for a months or higher, i don't know the exact amount of time.

And Jonquiere is located in Saguenay,Quebec, Canada. :D

lol thats not activation botheirng you then..you somehow accidentally set your password policy.

goto start, choose run, type in secpol.msc and under account policies you can change the password expiring and all that :)

I didn't activate my windows XP, so does it will do something or it will always ask me to change my password. I hope it'LL just ask me to change my password cause i think XP is da best.

And did i was worng when i was saying that when you don't activate it, it can stop working after some time.

It's a user password thing

it's a damn user password.. xp sets it to expire in a set amount of days.. the guy above you last post told you how to change it.. then put 0 in where the current days are and you won't have to change it again!

control panel

Control Panel /admistrative tools/ computer managment/local users and groups/ users ........ highlight the accounts in question go to properties and put a check mark in ( passwords never expire) ...............

Thank you but you didn't respond to my question that was : iam i right when i say that after an amount of time, Xp will stop working if i dont activate it??

YES XP WILL STOP WORKING ONE MONTH FROM WHEN YOU INSTALLED IT IF YOU HAVEN'T REGISTERED IT.UNLESS OF COURSE YOU'VE GOT A CORPORATE COPY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT THEN HEY THATS OK YOU DONT HAVE TO.IF ITS FROM A FRIEND THEN YOU WONT BE ABLE TO ACTIVATE IT COS BILLS BOYS WONT LET YOU DO IT,HOWEVER ,IF YOU CAN FIND IT ON THE NET THERES A XP CD KEY DOING THE ROUNDS WHICH GENERATES A RANDOM SERIAL CODE WHICH THEN YOU CAN ACTIVATE XP,TAKES ABOUT ONE IN TEN GOES TO GENERATE A WORKING SERIAL BUT THEN I'M SURE NO ONE ON THIS SITE CONDONES THIS "LOL".THEN AGAIN BILL GATES HAS MADE MORE MONEY IN THE TIME I'VE TAKEN TO TYPE THIS THAN I'LL MAKE IN A LIFETIME.:p

Is there a way to change my key??
and i use Xp for more than 1 months.

um skaunch...whatever sparky was shouting is kind of misleading

how long have you been using XP currently? activation and the PW changing have NOTHING to do with eachother.

hey

do you have a burnt copy of xp.. if so then it's most likely a corp edition that was hacked and you have nothing to worry about and you need to drop it... if it's not.. yes you need to activate it.. you've made it pretty long to not have a hacked ver though!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back