Lite-on cd burner

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tones10, Jul 1, 2003.

1. tones10

tones10 Guest

Hi, Thanks for all your replies for the post "help new cd burner"
    I think I will go for the Lite-on 52x24x52, one thing bothers me about the choice, I want to be able to burn say about 47mb of data
    on a blank cd and a week or so later burn another 48mb of data
    on the same cd,and keep working like this until the disk is full, I know its wasteful I can do this at present with my Creative burner
    "which I am giving to my son" does anyone know if you can do this
    with the Lite-on it comes with Nero burning software.
    Many thanks

2. JvK

JvK Guest

Yes it will burn multisessions =)
    i have a lite-on myself and it's a great burner

3. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

Does that model support the Overburn Feature in NERO? I haven't tried it yet...I hope it does.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ditto. I do multi session with nero and Lite-on 40 12 48 all the time. Friend bought the 52x version and neither of us have had any problems.

Enjoy. It's a fine drive, very quiet and rates at the top of the list for backing up protected CD's. Only thing that's stumped me is empire earth.

5. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Seems like I just responded to this post somewhere else!;)

Nero does a fine job of multisession burning - I do all my OE/fav etc backups using it.

BTW Nero 5.5.10.42 update is available as of today from the Ahead download site - no change sheets as usual - but I downloaded and installed uneventfully!

6. tones10

tones10 Guest

Hi, Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

7. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Lite-on 52 = 2 sheep = good!

8. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

No one has answered my question still...does the Lite-On 52x24x52 burner support the Overburn feature in Nero???? Can a 82-minute or 90 minute+ CD be written with this burner???

9. damnyank

From Nero Help:

Overburning a CD
    First check whether your recorder can overburn or not. From the Recorder menu, choose the item Choose Recorder and select your recorder from the list. You will find information about whether the recorder supports overburning in the recorder information box.
    Activate the overburn option within Nero. From the File menu, choose Preferences and then click on the Expert features tab.
    Activate the checkbox which allows overburning and specify the maximum CD length. In theory you can choose any size up to 99 minutes and 59 seconds. Initially you should enter a length 2 minutes longer than the specified capacity. If SCSI/ATAPI errors occur at the end of the simulation or burning process, we recommend that you reduce the maximum overburn capacity or use a different make of CD. If no errors occur, you can gradually increase the overburn capacity.

Click on OK to confirm the change and close the dialog box.
    This setting will have the following effect on the burning process:

If the amount of data to be burnt is larger than the normal capacity of the blank CD, but less than the maximum overburn capacity, Nero will ask at the beginning of the burning process whether you really want to overburn. If you answer yes to this question, Nero will start the burning process. If you answer no, the burning process will be aborted because there is not enough space on the destination CD.

10. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Da to answer your question.

Check the manual or go to the lite-on site and see what it says about over bruning. If it says yes follow the :Nero help" posted above to over burn.

11. damnyank

LeeJend - not necessary - when you do what is stated in the Nero help above - it lists your installed burners and tells you if they are supported for overburn or not when you highlight them!!

12. Da_Violator

Da_Violator Guest

Thank you all...I didn't realize that just checking for the feature was as simple as two mouse clicks. I'm going to experiment with this feature as soon as possible.

V1OL8TOR7

13. damnyank

Good luck!;)

14. ntentz

ntentz FingerBanger

I buy nothing but lite on drives anymore. I am one my 4th i have sold and given others to my dad, never had a problem. They are a great affordable drive i have a 52 now and love it. I belive mine supports overburning but i havnt tried i jsut buy more hds lol.

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

some questions about overburning:

1 - where is a good place to get some cheap 90-minute (or more) cd-r's? they aren't easy to find in stores, correct?

2 - nero warns that overburning may damage your burner... what are the chances of this?