linux. what should i use for a p166

i don't know if mandrake is quite what you want for that system...it's a pretty heavy distro. you might try slackware. it has a floppy install (mandrake may too, but i don't know about it.) and it runs very well on older systems. (ask me about my laptop! it's older than yours ;D)

for such an old box to install on, dont go Mdk.. or any other rpm based distro for that matter (fedora, rh, suse, lycoris etc)
you might be better trying an older version of Slackware or BSD :)

DO NOT install an older version unless you absolutely can't get the latest version working. bug fixes are important...and that's why new releases supercede old releases :)

my 50 mhz laptop with 5 mb of ram is running slackware 9.1 (10 wasn't out at time of installation, haven't had time to play with upgrading yet :) )

granted, it's not running X-windows...but your system would be able to without a hitch. just use a lighter window manager, such as fluxbox, icewm, etc.

yeah, but if you get an older version, patch the security updates there is less to update :p
nah but it reality.. go with what cpu said. Try the 9.1 or 10 version, then get older ;)

security isnt a problem the damn thing cant get on the net. just want to play with linux and make teh computer somewhat usful for word

It is possible to use Mandrake or Fedora (well at least Redhat 9 one could) with a strip down install. There might be a minamilist install option as well. It would be good to customize the package install in any case, and only select the bare essentials, which you will need, regardless of the distro. The standard install would probably be too much; and one of the reasons I was iffy on the suggestion of win2k or what not, the amount of RAM in this computer wasn't specified.

Many Pentium 133s only had like 32 MB of RAM or what not (maybe 64 MB). In any case, the amount of RAM could be an important point here as well... This is as important a factor, as the CPU... Playing against this, is how new you are to Linux, how comfortable you are, and how much time you want to spend learning stuff (you could for instance go without a GUI, but would have to do things command line, and there will be more to learn there). There's a balancing act, no doubt. The good news is, if you have your laptop next to your PC, you could probably ask people here (as well as do some research online) to help figure out what might be confusing you at first.

One note however, you will want gcc if you plan on putting any software on there. And depending on how you can select this, make sure to get anything for C++, along with the header files (if these are listed as a seperate option). Compilers need these, as a fair amount of code which is supplied with a compiler is included in the .h files...and programers rather expect one will have them... When I was taking advanced UNIX last semester, we in part had tests with various configs, and some required us to install Redhat 9 in less then 1.5 GB of space and stuff, while giving us very specific parameters for customizing it. Many of my class mates left gcc out, and then ran into probs as they needed to comile and install stuff...

use something like Debian or FreeBSD something without a glossy gui installer, I would personally recommend FreeBSD for this though

thekore said:
um, this should be moved from "windows" and put in the right forum...
lol good call .. didn't even notice that :p

Son Goku

I was able to install RH9 in 1.3Gigs. Complete with KDE, KOffice, multimedia apps, grafic apps, compilers for C & C++, tools for compiling programs including X-devel, etc...

can you tell me how i can get a list off all installed packages? I'm planning to strip it down further. Can you give me a list of the software you packed into 1.5Gigs? I'm planning to start a minimal install and build from there.

tnx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back