Linux box? Or Windows?

buzzstpoint

Computervitals.com
Political Access
I have a computer that just sits on the closet and I want to do something with it. Originally it was a Video On Demand computer for our hotel.
I started to use it in the home, but began not to work so well. Hard to add movies to the proprietary software, and modify the database and connecting it to all rooms separately I need a bigger amplifier.

So with that said. I decided to use this PC in my garage. I have an automotive program (Mitchell OnDemand) and I'm tired of running inside to use it on my laptop I wanted to bring this in the garage. Now I also wanted to use it for music in the garage for when I'm not running the TV.

So now to my question(s):
Would Linux be a good choice for a music box + my Ondemand (running through Wine)?
What flavor of Linux? (Novice user) I can learn and run commands easily with guidance.

Or would I be better suited staying with Windows on this machine? Currently has 2000 on it but has a key for XP Pro.

Here's the specs of the computer:

SuperMicro P8SCT
Key Features

• Intel® Pentium® 4 LGA775 Package 800MHz FSB, Celeron® 533MHz FSB
  • Intel® E7221 (Copper River) Chipset & integrated server-quality onboard video
  • Up to 4GB DDR2 400/533MHz unbuffered ECC/non-ECC SDRAM
  • Dual Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit LAN Controllers
  • Built-in SATA Controller 4x SATA Drive Support
  • 1x 64-bit 133MHz PCI-X
  • 5x 32-bit 33MHz PCI
  • Support for IPMI 2.0

A closer look at the system
SuperMicro Mainboard P8SCT (Link Here)
(2) DDR2 128x72 533mhz 1GB
Western Digital 120gb SATA II
Western Digital 250gn RAID Edition
Western Digital 250gn RAID Edition
Sony 1.44 Floppy drive
4U Raclmount RM42200 Chenbro (Link here) Slow site, be patient.
Sparkle 460 Watt 24 pin powersupply
Harmony 4ES MPEG-2 Decoder Circuit Board
OOH Video Systems Ltd. - Circuit Boards
&
Dialogic® D/4PCIUF and D/4PCIU4S Combined Media Boards
D/4 | D/4PCI | D/4PCIUF and D/4PCIU4S Combined Media Boards | Dialogic
XP Professional OEM with key, (Windows 2000 Loaded on the system)
systn3450929723.jpg

You can try Linux without disturbing the Windows install. Down load the Wubi loader for the Ubuntu Linux distribution and it will install dual boot with Windows. Then install Wine and see if it is compatible with your OnDemand software. Not all Windows app's are Wine compatible.

If you like it keep it. If not start looking at the Windows options.

PS You said garage. If the garage is nto air conditioned a PC won't last long in high dust, humidity, high temperatures, etc.

You can try Linux without disturbing the Windows install. Down load the Wubi loader for the Ubuntu Linux distribution and it will install dual boot with Windows. Then install Wine and see if it is compatible with your OnDemand software. Not all Windows app's are Wine compatible.

If you like it keep it. If not start looking at the Windows options.

PS You said garage. If the garage is nto air conditioned a PC won't last long in high dust, humidity, high temperatures, etc.

Good points.
I have a cabinet in the garage, since the only intake fan on this unit is a 120mm with a filter, and would be in a cabinet I wonder if it would be OK. Otherwise I'd be running a long stretch of cables.

I like the Wubi idea.

I use the OnDemand software and I don't see it playing well with Wine. The app itself can be hokey. My suggestion would to use Windows, it could probably do Windows 7 but only just. I would put that XP key to use and just use that.

I use the OnDemand software and I don't see it playing well with Wine. The app itself can be hokey. My suggestion would to use Windows, it could probably do Windows 7 but only just. I would put that XP key to use and just use that.

I actually had the XP loaded on an image awhile ago so I loded that up.
Tried to install Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) and it gave me an error:
cannot mount /dev/loop0

So I loaded the XP and copied over my Ondemand files.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back