Linksys and cable connection problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Maveric169, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Well I have been beating my head into the wall for 3 weeks on this problem so hopefully you folks can help. The problem I am having is with the DHCP lease time. The current lease time is 24 hours. But everytime the lease expires I loose my network connection and have to reboot to restore it. I have tried the following to get rid of it: power cycling router, disconnecting cat6 cable, running IPconfig, and using the repair operation. All without effect.

let me give you my system and setup info.

I am running Win XP with a Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC card connected to a linksys etherfast cable/dsl router (befsr41) connected to a RCA digital broadband modem.

My pc is a athlon xp 2100+ system with 512mb ram.

Anyone with any ideas?

2. jkipk

jkipk OSNN Addict

Sorry I'm not a network wiz or anything but I just took a look at my befsr41 dhcp settings and the "client lease time" is set to 0 minutes, with a note that 0 "means one day". For what it's worth...

kip

3. Maveric169

Yea I know there is no way to make it either infinte, or eliminate it all together. I think the problem is with Win XP, but I am not sure where or how to fix the problem, so I am hoping someone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it.

4. Maveric169

Ok, will do. BTW I can't find the NetDiag. Can you be more precise where to find that?

Also the reason I say that the problem has to do with the lease time is that when it stops responding to the network, I checked the connection statuses and it always happens right after the lease expiration.

5. Maveric169

ok thanks for the links, no I haven't updated the firmware in a while, so I will do that and see if it still happens. If it does I will post the info.