Linking computers + Sharing broadband

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by goldstar0011, Nov 13, 2002.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Guest

I have 2 computers and want to share my broadband connection, I can so using direct connection, but for the the 2nd computer to get internet it has to be on. Can I use a HUB so each has internet when only that one is one and still share files? If so could someone let me know how and recommend a decent HUB.
    Email goldstar0011@ntlworld.com

thanks

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

No, unless you have one of the rare ISP:s who will give you more than one IP, you'll need a router. A hub won't do. For instance Linksys and Netgear make good routers. These routers are often also called Broadband Firewalls or SOHO routers.

3. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

No router or hub is needed (in XP) with Internet Connection Sharing. Just a single cable connection between two computers and, say two Ethernet cards. Having said that i am having trouble getting it to work properly. I can see the "other" computer on both of my machines, copy and transfer files and share the printer. So far no internet sharing. Oh dear!

4. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

yeah but be careful. make sure you got an external ADSL modem, not internal. Because if internal, a router won't work!

5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Is the client set to automatic IP? It should be.