lights on the floppy and hard disks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by qianamonee, Oct 29, 2002.

1. qianamonee

qianamonee Guest

I came home from work last night and the lights for my floppy and hard disks were steadily lit. My monitor was also on, but the screen was black and the cursor just blinks forever. When I restarted my computer, the only things it will do is check for memory (as usual), but then it does it all over again. the lights stay on and cursor is just blinking on a black screen. any suggestions? is if possible that it's the HD? But i just installed it last fall.

2. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

did you get any error messages? try inserting a boot CD and see if you can acess the recovery/any programs.

3. qianamonee

qianamonee Guest

nope, no error messages, it just acts like it's gonna go all the way to start up but it doesn't. the lights on the floppy and hard drive won't go off. and yes, I have bios set to boot from the xp cd, and nothing happens when I try that

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Sounds more like a dead mobo or BIOS. If the light on the floppy has started to glow all the time without anyone messing around with the cables, then it's not the HDD. Could be due to a power surge or pretty much anything. I'd go for the mobo primarily and memory secondary.

5. jumpy

jumpy Guest

The thing that might be causing this is if you have your ide cables connected back the front, this is not possible with newer cables but just check to make sure.

6. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

did u recently mess around inside your case? ur floppy cable may be on upside down

7. allan

allan Guest

I don't mean to sound simplistic, but have you tried pulling the power cord from the wall and then plugging it back in after a few seconds to allow everything to reset?

8. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

or just reset your BIOS if its not dead. Usually a little jumper you have to put on somewhere