Lightning - Direct Hit

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cat826237, Aug 1, 2004.

1. cat826237

cat826237 OSNN Addict

House took a direct hit, blew chimney apart. Lots of electronic things ruined. Computer has a problem with USB ports. All not working and no sound. Everything else seems to work. Would motherboard need replacing? DELL 1.8 Gig Dimension 8200 Pentium 4.

2. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

It's probably a good assumption that something needs to be replaced - if your USB /audio is onboard (part of the motherboard) then ... yes, it probably is damaged. BUT if your computer is booting, and running fine except for that, that is a good thing - few years back, lightning hit my house and blew apart the power unit in my computer ( :eek: )... Best thing I could suggest is to take it to a reputable computer shop somewhere, and have them asses the damage, make sure things are safe.

3. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

What hit your house?
    Duh I just read title. Thought you lived in Baghdad or something, sorry to read this.

4. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

do an insurance job!!!!!! call it dead and get a new p4 3.4 extreme edition etc :cool: :p

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

First under windows system manager try uninstalling USB then reboot and it will reinstall (maybe). Then reload the MB drivers. If the USB is still dead your options are:

Go the insurnace root if possible.

For cheap, if everything else iss till working just buy a plug in USB card for a PCI slot ~$20 bucks.

It sounds like the lightning got in through any USB periopherals you had plugged in (like printer or scanner). EVERYTHING connected to the PC needs to be plugged into a good lightning surge protector strip. Preferably the same strip. Using two different strips can cause a differential voltage surge even if both strips stop the common mode lightning pulse.

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

If you get a strong enough pulse of lightning no surge protector you get out there is going to stop it from frying your stuff. Only sure way would be to unplug your system :(

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Yeah, I'd try to go the Insurance route if possible, if not, is it still under warranty?

8. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

surge protectors are good, even if they fail, both of mine have a £35,000 conected equipment warrenty if they fail :cool:

9. Kush

Kush High On Life!

damn man, i feel bad for you

10. cat826237

cat826237 OSNN Addict

It is still under warranty but worthless if it is caused by lightning. Have already got a new Dell and was planning on putting the old hard drive in it but the connections have changed! Got a lot of info that I need to transfer to the new drive. What's the best way to do this?

11. ApparitionX

ApparitionX Sick of it all.

wow, what a bummer man, u could maybe try norton ghost to transfer settings n stuff from the fried cpu.
    also, better than any "surge protector" or "power strip" would be an actual power conditioner.
    lotta companies make em, I like these guys best:
    http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pwr_cond_seq/Index.htm

12. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Lightning sucks dude. I've repaired my share of lightning damages computers. They usually don't smell so good... ;)

A UPS will do as well, plus you'll get battery backup during outages. They usually come with warranty for connected equipment. The value varies with the make and power of the UPS.

13. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Well, I design aircraft power systems for a living and you're wrong. Flying through thunder storms is about as sporty as lightning gets.

A properly designed surge protector uses a power shunt that will fail shorted killing the strip but saving the PC. The shunt device has to be a leadless package to prevent L*dI/dt effects in the leads from developing sufficient voltage to defeat the shunt protection. You put a fusible link or magnetic circuit breaker (less effective but sexier) in series with the input circuit so that it vaporises before the shunt element is vaporized.

The cheapies (and incompetents) don't bother to do this properly so they are ineffective.

APC will replace your $1000 PC if their $15 power strip doesn't stop a surge.

14. Xie

But how much for a UPS that can do that LeeJend? I'm guessing you would need one thats geared more for business then for home use and costing a good penny.

15. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

i have a newpoint power surge.. i wonder if that is any good
    i rem when i bought it said it would replace anything damaged up to something.

anyone else have htis brand. (i dont have a model number but i could take a pic if i had too lol)

16. Xie

I would say I would recommend a true UPS over a surge protector as brown outs can be just as deadly to your machine as a power surge and a surge protector does nothing for them.