LF A Way

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by MonthOLDpickle, Sep 14, 2006.

1. MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle OSNN One Post Wonder

To access a PC that doesn't have a Moniter, Mouse, or Keyboard attached to it w/ Windows XP Pro SP2 on it.

With a laptop that has windows media center 2005 (windows xp pro SP2 sometime in the future).

I heard of something with anywhere, googled that but came with too many results.

~Pickle

2. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

PC Anywhere?

3. MonthOLDpickle

So I have to buy the PCanywhere and the PCanywhere host?

Oo

4. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

VNC or Remote Desktop...

5. Brad

Yeah, I would recommend using VNC. It works great and it's free.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I think there are free products, let me see what I can find. PC Anywhere is considered the best.

If you had XP Pro on the laptop you could use the remote access function to take over the desktop.

Note You will have to have a keyboard and monitor to install and set up the desktop. Any time the desktop crashes you may need the keyboard and monitor again to restart the system.

Google time.
    http://www.tightvnc.com/

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

You CAN use the Windows Remote Desktop component. Firstly you only need Pro on the computer you want to take control of, the client can be XP Home, 2000 or 98.

When using 2000 or 98 insert the XP disk into the drive, when the menu pops up click "Perform Additional Tasks" then "Setup Remote Desktop Connection" and it will install the Remote Desktop Client.

To use Home simply goto Start>Accessories>Communication>Remote Desktop Connection and enter the IP of the computer you want to take over.

Just remember to first enable remote desktop on the Pro machine, It's under Start>Control Panel>System>Remote Tab and put a check beside "Allow Users to Connect Remotely to this Computer"

That should be it. If you want to use Remote Desktop outside your LAN then post back and I/we can help you with that.

8. MonthOLDpickle

Yea I will be setting up the PC with moniter attached and what not. Its not going to be hidden in some corner. Just under mydesk. Moniter and everythign else will be connected to a docking station. The PC has about 500g of space which is why I am tying to keep the PC running on the network.

I just need to buy another XP Pro & get this remote thing to work.

9. Brad

well crap, if it is that close, just get a KVM switch.

10. MonthOLDpickle

Yea I am not very computer savy..what? Well I have to goto school so I try to find time to google that there.

11. Brad

It is a device that allows you to control more than one computer with 1 mouse, 1 monitor, 1 keyboard. quite useful actually.

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

or just use remote desktop :)

Faster than VNC
    More secure than VNC
    Comes with XP by default :)

There's a remote desktop enabler out there too. As long as the firewall on the target machine is disabled.

13. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I'd have to go with Remote Desktop too, I use it all the time to fix computers.

14. Admiral Michael

Why do you need another XP Pro, I thought the "file server" machine has XP Pro already?

15. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Worth pointing out there is no File Transfer client for Remote Desktop. If they are connected on the network you could map drives, but I would also suggest PcAnywhere as it is more secure than Remote Desktop.

I believe they have a few options, the Host, the Remote, and a package that has both. You could buy one host and one remote if desired, it will lower your cost in the end.

16. Admiral Michael

What do you mean no file transfer client KC? You can map local drives (look under the Remote Desktop Client settings) which basically allows you to access the client drives from the remote computer.

17. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You don't need PCAnywhere for a home network. That would be a waste of money. RDC/RDP works very well and you can map local disk drives when you connect to the remote computer.

Start
    Run
    mstsc

To connect with full administrator rights:

Start
    Run
    mstsc /console

EDIT:
    If you need to download the client for an OS other than Windows XP or Windows Server 2003...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  18. synical33

synical33 X2 & Lovin' It

Yea I would use a VNC option. I currently have the same setup as you do MonthOLDpickle and I would just recommend RealVNC for you. My server is near my daily use computer so whenever I need to set something up on my server for download (for example) I just use RealVNC to tap in and view the desktop from there. Allowing me to get into the server this way has provided me with a free & easy solution. You should give it a try it is so easy to setup also. Hope this helps

19. Admiral Michael

I use remote desktop since its built into XP Pro (server) and Home (client), it doesn't require any extra processes or programs to be installed.