Let other computers control shared dial up connection in server 2003

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by GeeZuZz, Mar 29, 2003.

1. GeeZuZz

GeeZuZz Guest

Do someone know how to configure my shared dial-up connection in Windows Server 2003 (RC2) so that other computers can control it (connect/disconnect it)?

In winXP i have three choices:
    - Allow other computer to use it
    - Establish a connection whenever a computer needs it
    - Allow other computers to control it (connect/disconnect)

In server 2003 the last option is not listet... :(

2. its a server, so settings are not in the same place if they are thereat all. it is ment to be in a domain anyway, not a workgroup and sharing a connection unless it has a proxy (isa say....)

i have 2003 server too , you have yours in an ad/domain setup? then the settings for the last item would be controlled through a mmc somewhere remotely to server. not as a choice for each local user

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Whenever I tried to connect the dial-up on my dads pc over the network, it never connects... does it do this for you?

4. GeeZuZz

GeeZuZz Guest

It should be possible to at least select which users had permissions to connect disconnect the dial-up (administrators for instance). :huh:

Electronic Punk:

Yes, just share rightclick the connection -> advanced -> check "allow other computers to control...".

Then on the client run the network setup wizard, make sure that it finds the right shared connection - and then you can find the connection in "Network Connections", just as a normal dial-up connection.