leaked?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by feliclope, Jul 11, 2002.

1. feliclope

feliclope Guest

i read so many times in the main page the word "leaked".
    what this mean?

2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

means the original software maker has not made it available to the general public yet, but somebody got it and "leaked" it for other people to use.

:cool:

3. niabi

niabi Guest

your roof is leaking.....

no, really, leaked means "beta" software that was released before time, it was not suposed to get to you, like water leaking in your roof :D

nIabI

4. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Generally it means the person who posted the news got work from someone, or the company that will be releasing the product has leaked the information.

Moved to General Chatter

5. Bob S

Bob S Guest

Just a point of clarification... if you are going to define a word, do not use the word you are trying to define. It will not help the person, who doesn't know the word, in the first place.

Leaked, in this context, means "escaped". So the software was meant to be concealed until it was to be officially released. It was made available earlier than intended, it "escaped".

6. feliclope

feliclope Guest

thanx!

aaa.... thanx!.

7. Jewelzz

Hmm, since we're being quite technical about the definition:

Main Entry: 1leak
    Pronunciation: 'lEk
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English leken, from Old Norse leka; akin to Old English leccan to moisten, Middle Irish legaid it melts
    Date: 14th century
    intransitive senses
    1 a : to enter or escape through an opening usually by a fault or mistake <fumes leak in> b : to let a substance or light in or out through an opening
    2 a : to become known despite efforts at concealment b : to be the source of an information leak
    transitive senses
    1 : to permit to enter or escape through or as if through a leak
    2 : to give out (information) surreptitiously <leaked the story to the press>
    - leakĀ·er /'lE-k&r/ noun

Hope this clears up the definition of Leaked

8. AJG199

AJG199 Guest

Thank you teacher Bob! lol. I need to work on my english a little more... any good lessons available? :-D

9. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Just a further point of clarification, I think feliclope understood what I said. and it is good to use the word in the sentence, it lets people know how the word is used properly.

This ain't English class ;)

10. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

I wouldnt touch leaked software or beta software unless you really..really need to.. as who know wot it will bugga up on your sys.. 9 times outta 10.. it will!!! IMO...

11. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

your welcome....

you hit the wrong button maybe?

12. I tried the leaked version - it didn't work.

13. Jewelzz

Threads Merged

14. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

what leaked program you talking about anyway?

15. Winamp3 which appears on the homepage. I lost where the thread for the orginal discusion was.

16. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have used the latest version from winamp.com and am now using this new leaked version without a hitch - works nicely!!
    (I did a clean install btw)

17. The 2.8 version or the Winamp3 version. I tried the leaked version and I couldn't even get my playlists to load right. and Winamp3 was too much of a RAM hog.