Leadtek 6800GT for $289

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ShepsCrook, May 16, 2005.

1. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Newegg has a Leadtek 6800GT for $289 Here

762x51 likes this.
  2. 762x51

762x51 168gr BTHP

Wow...nice find! Have a friend considering an X800-XL but this would be a better choice. Will pass it on.

ShepsCrook likes this.
  3. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

at 299 now.... I wonder if this would be a good replacment for my 9700 pro. But i still have the Xp 2700 procc.. hmmm.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Roflmao. The cooler on that thing takes up 3 slots.

The 6800GT is a major improvement over the 9700/9800 PRO series. But I'll wait until it hits $200 later this year.

5. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Cooler takes up the next PCI slot. Which I have more then enough slots in my boards.

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You positive it just takes up the adjacent one. That thing is humongous compared to other coolers.

Let us know if the size makes it any quieter. I'd sacrifice a virgin slot any day for quiet...

7. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Great cards I have the 6800GT and the 6800 fanless both are great cards had the 9800 pro and these just blows that away

8. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Well, mine will be arriving on the 19th. It's replacing an Ati Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card in my server. But I may end up switching it out to replace my X800Pro --> X800XT-PE card.

9. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Ok, I got the card in and it only takes up the PCI slot next to the AGP. It's a big heatsink and the card is so much longer then the X800Pro card I had in there. I'm looking into overclocking the card right now. Since apparently, it overclocks nicely with that heatsink and fan it has.

10. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

How is the HSF noise level compared to the old ATI card?

11. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Well the ATI I had the Arctic Cooling Silencer on it. So they are fairly comparable. I'd have to say that the 6800GT is a TAD louder. But nothing to whine about. Now I just need to figure out overclocking this thing. Apparently it's pretty nice for it. :)

12. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

i have the card. the noise level...... well...... to be honest i don't even know if i'm hearing it or not (though probably not). my case has 5 fans (2x 80mm, 3x 92mm), plus the CPU fan, plus the hard drive, plus the two 80mm fans in the power supply..... so it's kinda hard to tell if i'm hearing it at all or not. my computer is pretty quiet though for all that commotion going on. absolutely love the card.

ShepsCrook: this card can OC like a beast. lol. i sometimes have mine at Ultra speeds (underclocked it ages ago due to the fact that it overheated during some massive Star Wars: Republic Commando gaming...... scared the crap outta me when everything graphic wise went to hell), and the temp barely moved.

13. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I have it at Ultra speeds. 400/1100 and it's doing good.
    Any suggestions on monitoring the temperatures for this thing?

14. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I have noticed that the card is slower at playing the movies for BF1942 though. Which seems strange since I have it overclocked to Ultra speeds...
    It's much slower then the ATI X800Pro that I overclocked...

15. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Oh yeah, and it looks like I have an idle temp of 55c. Not sure what my load temp is but that seems pretty decent since I've seen temps into the 78c range.

16. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

:crosseyed: Eww, a bad cooling pun.

17. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Wasn't meant to be one though. haha

18. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team