Latop Power Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NathanA, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. NathanA

    NathanA OSNN Addict

    Messages:
    88
    Hey guys, hope you can help me out on this. When my laptop is plugged in, the power plug (that plugs into the pc) gets really hot...so hot that it burns my fingers to touch it. I have figured out that if I take out the battery, the plug doesnt get as hot, but still gets hotter than it used to. Long story short, I bought a new AC adapter thinking something was wrong with my old one...same result. Any ideas/suggestions?

    Thanks!
     
  2. LeeJend

    LeeJend Moderator

    Messages:
    5,291
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    The contacts on the plug are too loose, dirty, or were designed too small. You may have rubbed the coating or some of the metal off the contacts in the laptop from inserting and removing it frequently. Pushing the plug at an angle can mess it up too.

    Not much you can do about it except maybe replace the socket in the laptop. But thats a risky, ugly job if you don't know what you are doing and if it's a problem with the socket size it won't help.

    Try cleaning the socket with a Qtip and some rubbing alcohol, but don't expect much.

    The reason it gets hotter with the battery in is because you're drawing more power to run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time.