Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820 and Inspiron discussion

The Core Duo (U2500 (1.2 GHz)) is allready available at Polish Dell site - it's an about 70$ upgrade from core solo, not bad

Has anyone actually bought and used a 420? I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if it's fanless? I'm concerned about it being fanless, getting hot and dying after a couple of months. For those of you who have had x1 or other fanless laptop, does being fanless pose a problem after a while?

Some precisions and latitudes should either currently or very soon be available with merom. Pretty much the whole notebook line should offer it by week's end AFAIK.

yup i remember reading that they would be phased in this week :D

They are already offered on most latitudes and precision notebooks, not the 420 at the moment though, the ULV version is not currently available for shipping.

All notebooks should have the merom option by weeks end/next week though.

I have a 420 at work now, very small. Not sure if I like the mini dock it comes with, but I can see the point of it.

Its teeny.

HMMmmm so I was playing with the customizing for my 820 and up pops this!
4.0GB, 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (2 x 2048MB) [add £1,579.20 or £41/month1]
Well there's an interesting option - given that my loaded laptop was coming in at £1,499.68 looks like I'd better take TWO to get the extra memory - cheaper than the upgrade!

Seriously though - if I spring that much money for the latest laptop will I get enough juice from the 85WHr 9 cell to play a couple of DVD's back to back on the 15.4" WSXGA+ screen? Anyone any idea? That will be four or five hours hoped for life with screen and DVD drive on constantly and GFX getting processed.... Would that need the extra cell option?

HMMMmm so if I spend just £252 odd more I can get the XPS M1710 - albeit with 2GB less RAM - but I am puzzled as to why i may chose the 820 over this - any answers?

I just got my hands on the Latitude D620 as we are testing them for the new laptop line, they are sexy!!!

I love the two-toned color, the touch device in the keyboard is cool too because it's actually ridged instead of felt (hated it).

Get to play with it more later, but man it's a sweet unit!

Yeah, just imagine one 2/3rds the size and you got the 420 :D

I called Dell yesterday, they willl replace laptops with dead bugs behind the screen, blog update later
(but I am happy with my new lcd already on !!)

Thought the Latitude series was more for business, XPS is just a bit flashy :)

HMMmmm so I was playing with the customizing for my 820 and up pops this!

Well there's an interesting option - given that my loaded laptop was coming in at £1,499.68 looks like I'd better take TWO to get the extra memory - cheaper than the upgrade!

Seriously though - if I spring that much money for the latest laptop will I get enough juice from the 85WHr 9 cell to play a couple of DVD's back to back on the 15.4" WSXGA+ screen? Anyone any idea? That will be four or five hours hoped for life with screen and DVD drive on constantly and GFX getting processed.... Would that need the extra cell option?

That should be enough. Although you'd better of by ripping the dvds to HD and spin it rather then the disc. That way you could add a modular slot battery and have some more playback hours.

thanks for that lack - now I really can't decide whether to go for the loaded 820 or spring a little extra for the XPS M1710 - I know it is flashy, but is it worth the extra spend? Primary anticipated usage may well turn out to be DVD viewing on battery anyway - so cell life and general duarbility are maybe the two key items I am considering - but the tech specs are a little hard to work out with this in mind. Hence any actual experience much appreciated if anyone out there has it....

You can consider Precision M90, it's an M1710 (or inspiron 1705) but less flashy and with a quadro card.
If you need hours of battery life, you're better of with a D820 and GMA950 on board. Any other option will draw more power (from the larger screen, better graphics) and result in fewer hours unplugged.

thanks Lack - rep++ - guess I need to save up for that D820 and watch out for offers on it then (I was hoping for some after the recent battery crisis, but none seemed to pop up!)

I would probably consider a discrete graphics solution and a larger battery (9-cell) simply because of Vista.

anyone tried checking in for a flight with one of these? :D How did it go?

thanks Lack - rep++ - guess I need to save up for that D820 and watch out for offers on it then (I was hoping for some after the recent battery crisis, but none seemed to pop up!)

Where or from whom do you intend to purchase your new laptop. Are the new ones only available from DELL?

You can purchase direct from Dell or a Dell Solutions Provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back