Latitude D-420/620 and 820 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New latitude D-420/620 and 820 and Inspiron discussion

The chassis of the new latitudes is more durable and is definitely a stronger/less flexible build so it feels sturdier.

It has additional features and even though its marginally taller and marginally heavier, it feels lighter and thinner than the X-1.

It is faster as well because the X-1 used an older proc, the new ones are definitely faster.

Not sure if it has a fan or not, I would presume it probably has some active cooling but don't quote me on it.

The dual-core will give you a boost in performance for multi-threaded apps or for multi-tasking. Likely release date is around end july/early august.

On the D820 how big is the 9cell? im sick of the poor battery life of the 4 cell.. but I dont want a seriously huge battery.

About 7 hrs.

Will the core duo eat up significantly more battery life than the solo?

Power draw should be about the same.

Just want to confirm that Dell, will in fact, be offering the D420 with duo processor... I am waiting to purchase.... any idea when it will be available?
Thanks.

1. Generic, it is heavier obviously and does protrude a little from the front, not the back so as to avoid blocking the i/o ports.

2. Yes, it will be available with a core duo but probably in end july/early august or so AFAIK.

Are laptops able to upgrade CPUs? Those Core 2 Duo's are sexy.

While it's no easy task, I would assume you'd be limited to a compatible socket-type and chipset.

Also, it would probably void your warranty fwiw.

Any idea when i can get an inspiron with core 2 duo processors?

wanna get a new laptop soon, but would like to get a core2 duo rather than just a core duo :p

I'm getting ready to order the D420 and can't find anywhere on the Dell site information about the optional Media Base. I understand that the D Bay uses a cord to connect the CD-ROM/DVD drive to the computer. How is the optical drive attached to the computer via a media base? How heavy is the media base? And, maybe it will be obvious after I read your answer but why would I choose the media base over the D Bay?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I am planning to buy D420 in next couple of weeks. I wanted to check with all of you about its computing power. I will be using it heavily for word processing and on a somewhat regular basis for some .net programming and to run some statistical programs. I would like to know whether solo core at 1.06Ghz with 1.5gb would suffice for this. Is it worthwhile to wait for dual core release? I carry my laptop with me often so need to get something light. My institution supports only latitudes and nothing else. What do you say about d620.

Will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Check this dell webpage which proides video on d420 and others. it will likely answer all your Qs
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/media/en/product_vlog?c=us&l=en&s=corp

I'm getting ready to order the D420 and can't find anywhere on the Dell site information about the optional Media Base. I understand that the D Bay uses a cord to connect the CD-ROM/DVD drive to the computer. How is the optical drive attached to the computer via a media base? How heavy is the media base? And, maybe it will be obvious after I read your answer but why would I choose the media base over the D Bay?

The media base is a very thin/light attachment to the bottom of the notebook.

I personally don't need a drive but if I did I would want it integrated so yes I would choose a media base over the d-bay since the item is more practical.

Please go to the following link.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d420?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Where it says technology on top, click on the various options and you will see one for Mediabase. Like I said, it's flush with the system so it's the best option IMO.

Hi,

I am planning to buy D420 in next couple of weeks. I wanted to check with all of you about its computing power. I will be using it heavily for word processing and on a somewhat regular basis for some .net programming and to run some statistical programs. I would like to know whether solo core at 1.06Ghz with 1.5gb would suffice for this. Is it worthwhile to wait for dual core release? I carry my laptop with me often so need to get something light. My institution supports only latitudes and nothing else. What do you say about d620.

Will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Yes, the items you want will easily be able to run with the specs listed. You could even get away with less memory if you choose but more is always better :)

The 620 is a nice notebook, sturdy and has the option for a discrete video solution.

Any idea when i can get an inspiron with core 2 duo processors?

wanna get a new laptop soon, but would like to get a core2 duo rather than just a core duo :p

They are supposed to be dropping, perhaps, end of july or august afaik.

All depends on Intel tbh.

Btw, sorry for not responding earlier. I completely missed this thread's new posts before.

Thats ok, guesed it was gone be that sort of time anyhow ;)

Any news as to when the duo core processor will be available for the D420?

As said before, probably around end july, august. Dunno when exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back