laptop problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fenris, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Fenris

Fenris OSNN Senior Addict

My laptop has been having an annoying issue where it will freeze for a few seconds then the screen blinks black then it wont let me do anything other than move the mouse pointer around, not even ctrl alt delete will do anything. Anyone ever have this issue or have any idea how to fix it?

2. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

what OS are you using?

3. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Sound like explorer is locking up on you.

Spyware Scan?

4. Fenris

I'm using windows XP home. I have ad-aware the free version and it didn't find any, is there another one I should try?

5. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

How up to date are your drivers? There's a number of sites where you can scan your pc drivers and see which ones need to be updated. I have used the one at
    http://pcpitstop.com/

6. Fenris

Thanks Segamil I'll give that a shot

7. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

If it's not a driver issue, it could be a corrupt windows or software installation file. If your laptop used to work properly without crashing, you might want to try using system restore to a point in time when everything was working alright. Good luck.

8. Fenris

Well it finally showed the blue screen of death. It seems the issue is the nv4_disp file 0x000000EA (0x8588EB30, 0x865EAF60, 0xF7A63CBC, 0x00000001). Now I just need to figure out how to fix it. I'm thinking just a different set of drivers will help. There are a few home made fixes on the net for the issue I'll have to try if new drivers doesn't work.

9. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

At least you're getting closer to the source. That seems to be more of a problem with some motherboards than others. Try the latest non-beta nvidia drivers. Good luck!