laptop memory upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by monmusion, May 21, 2003.

1. monmusion

monmusion OSNN Addict

Do you guys think its worth upgrading the memory on a laptop running windows xp home from 256 to 512? I have integrated graphics which eat up memory, and a 2.0gig celeron processor. The computer is running fine, but for 40 bucks i can get another 256 chip. Is it worth it?

2. Elroy Jetson

Elroy Jetson Little Dipper School

Yes, definitely, no question about it. I have a p4 2.0 gig with 512mb ram, and it runs nice and smooth, even with larger graphics in corel draw.

3. monmusion

monmusion OSNN Addict

Another quick question. I can get the ram from dell for 44 bucks, and I already have dell ram in there, but I can also get it from crucial and support the board for 41 bucks. Do you guys think I would have any trouble mixing the 2 types of ram?

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

i dont think there will be any problems, but its always better to stick to 1 brand of ram, cause there is a possibilty of incompatiblity, but i never experienced it.

5. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

And if it did bug a little most times just switching the sticks around can fix it most times .... I prefere all one type but have on many set'ups mixed and matched not only name brands but even on the odd setup different speeds , so dont worry to much about the name brand just make sure you order for your specific rig ;)

6. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

It's only $3. Go with Dell because it is guaranteed compatable AND it does not mess with your warranty.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

the extra memory will help a LOT... because laptop harddrives are the slowest around so the less your laptop has to use the virtual memory, the better.

8. monmusion

monmusion OSNN Addict

Hey guys, i was checking out my specs and I realized that i have 2 128 meg chips, and only one is accessible. So I would only be going from 256 total, to 384, and I would have an extra chip not being used. Sorry that i didnt realize this earlier. You still think its worth it?

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

friend has the same deal. you have a sony, by chance?

if you can sell your leftover 128mb, then it might be worth it. dunno, it's really up to you. if you got 40 bucks to spend, got for it, i guess.

10. monmusion

monmusion OSNN Addict

No, its a dell. I wasnt thinking when i bought it, and my options were 256 in one chip which was an extra 50 bucks so I decided to get 2 128 chips and save myself 50 bucks. I guess Ill just wait until prices drop. The performance isnt bad, I just thought for 40 bucks i couldnt go wrong. but oh well.