Laptop in a domain, home setup question

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by Heeter, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hey all,

Quick question:

If I make a laptop part of a domain in the office using a wirless AP, when it gets home will it be able to hook up to the regular wireless home router? What happens when it gets back into the office?

The network is set to "Obtain IP Address/DNS Automatically"

Laptop is running XPPro.

Thanks,

Heeter

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You should have no problems using a notebook outside of a managed domain. I, for instance, have my notebook on a managed domain but take it from client site to client site (some of which use wireless access points; including Panera Bread).

However, be advised, that your notebook will travel with policies set by the managed domain.

3. Heeter

Great, Thanks for your input, Matt.

Helder

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Indeed there should be no issues, but of course I feel the desire to add a few points :D

Verify you have cached logon configured for your domain and that your laptop applies the policy. Not sure what the default is, but if by some outside shot it's not configured and you go to login without the PDC available, you won't be able to login to your domain user profile. You could login to a local admin account, and then use your wireless, but as you know you wouldn't have access to any of your profile specific settings, etc.

Check this out for info to verify it's applied to your box:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172931

Also, somewhat OT, have you considered Vista? The wireless single sign on is attractive :D

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727033.aspx

5. Heeter

Thanks KC,

I do know that Vista is not going to be a option with this boss.

But definitely gonna make sure about the cache kb.

Heeter