Laptop battery question

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by zeke_mo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I've been looking at two laptops trying to figure out which one to purchase. I've narrowed my search down to these two laptops

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product2.cfm?ProductType=2080&SubType=V
    That one has better hardware and battery life, but weighs more

and the other is:
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product2.cfm?ProductType=6630&SubType=C
    this is where the question comes in...I read a review on this laptop here, http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3078&review=Sager+NP6630

The reviewer claims that the battery life is only 2hrs - 2.5 hrs, and I noticed he tested it with a core duo processor and not a core 2 duo(i didnt notice it Aprox did :lick: ). Would having a core 2 duo add more life to that? And how long could I expect the battery to last? for those of you wondering the specs of the battery are
    And yes I am buying a sager so please no dell referrals (I'm done with them)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. zeke_mo

36 views, somebody has to know somethin

3. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I know you wish you had an answer by now. :p

As I told you over IM I would expect atleast 2.5 hours if not closer to 3 - 3.5 for just browsing and basic computer use.

4. zeke_mo

I would be more inclined to buy it if it got around three hours, but for the hardware it has it should get a better life time on the batt

5. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

the graphics card is going to drain that battery the fastest. Also a larger screen the more pull on the battery. if you are going to game at all the battery life will be bad unless it's plugged in to the wall.

zeke_mo likes this.
  6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

The core 2 duo is a more energy efficient design so it will run longer, but CPU consumption isn't going to make that much difference unless you are number crunching continuously.

The 2080 uses a 9 cell Li battery vs 6 cell in the 6630. That's 50% more capacity and 50% more battery weight. Since battery life is non-linear with load as a percent of capacity and total voltage expect to get worse than a 50% difference in life. Maybe as bad as 60% difference.

I'd beleive that review you saw about the low life is realistic.

You get what you weigh for with batteries. Expect pretty sad life out of a comparably equipped laptop with that much less battery. And most likely you won't be able to upgrade batteries if you are not happy.

zeke_mo likes this.
  7. zeke_mo

Thats what I need to hear :p.

I've been doing some reach and it turns out that 15.4" laptops dont usually get that great of battery performance, I guess I am just going to have to accept the poopy looking battery :speechless:

8. zeke_mo

I just ordered the 6630, I finally decided that it was going to be a work/school computer, thanks everybody for the help