lan "network cable unplugged"

got another card so i will see in the morning.it does not cut out.when it works it keeps working,when i pull the card out and then re-insert it then it does not work right.i assume if the card was working it would always connect when plugged in.correct?

I hope our IM conversation helped last night, keep me posted :)

KCNY what ideas did you give him? Does he have the latest drivers?

This problem should have been an easy one, although I really started to suspect either a bad nice or TCP/IP stack on his windows machine, what fixed it? that is IF it is working?

just bought a new nic card.im hoping that is the problem.i will keep you guys up to date.thanx again.dan

mlakrid said:
KCNY what ideas did you give him? Does he have the latest drivers?

This problem should have been an easy one, although I really started to suspect either a bad nice or TCP/IP stack on his windows machine, what fixed it? that is IF it is working?

Well, I only talked to him for a few minutes, but basically he told me that taking the cable and hooking it to his Mac works perfectly. When he hooks it to his PC it connects sporatically. All I told him was to try a different card. Basically you can eliminate the port on his router/modem, and his cable since they all work fine on the MAC, which just leaves the card. I wouldn't suspect the TCP/IP stack, but it is possible. Usually that works or it doesn't, not partially. And, in most cases, if it was frayed, he would be getting an APIPA 169.x.x.x IP address, and have "limited or no connectivity"

ok,its not the card.the same thing is happening on the new card.occasional connection.so.....not the card,not the cable message says "network cable unplugged",what do i try next?drivers updated from nic card software?

help!

another question:is this actually considered a lan connection when its coming out of the dsl modem(sbc yahoo) into the nic card?because the message "network cable is unplugged" also says "local area connection 4". now there are 3 lights on the dsl modem.1st is poer 2nd is broadband link and 3rd is local network.
help anybody?

Yes, once it passes through the modem it has gone from WAN (wide area network) to LAN (local area network).

A service pack update should not be required to connect (though it is recommended for security).

All three lights on the modem should be green. Are they? If not then the cable is not making a connection to the NIC and it should be saying "network cable unplugged".

If you plug it in and it works leave it alone. The connector on the PC end of the cable is probably damaged. MAC's usually have a better quality connector and the plug probably seats better than in the cheapo parts they use in Compaqs.

One thing to check. If when you installed the card in the PC it's connector plate is not centered in the opening in the back of the PC you may not be able to insert the network cable plug all the way in. The plug should slide in easily and click when it is fully seated. Gently pulling on the cable should not pull the plug out of the NIC card. If plug does not lock in place either the connector is damaged or the card is not centered.

1rst center the card so the NIC jack is in the middle of the slot. If that doesn't work get a new cable.

Last edited:
maybe having him blow the tcp/ip stack would help. also could try to Flush the dns.

well guys im stumped.its an external card,the card works (its the 2nd one) is recognized by xp,the cable works as i have tried it on 2 other computers,and the connection into the nic card occasionally works.it has to be something with the configuration of the computer.bu i am completely lost.

so anyone who can give me 15 IM minutes later today or 2nite (if you have an ideas or procedure/steps to go thru,i would be very grateful.

dan

Ok first of all, if it is a plug and play nic...
then when you plug it in it might say "new hardware found"
and you will see a little green arrow in your system icon tray for plug and play removable system resources....

If thats the case... its as simple as you cant just unplug it...

you have to "safely remove" that item from your PC

To do that, you right-click on the green arrow and a pop-up should come up with a few options. One of those is Stop. when you click the Stop, it should give you a message like: "it is now safe to remove your hardware" and THEN you can remove it... if you remove it before doing this you can easily fix it by doing a systems restart with the card out... and after you get back to your desktop you can reinstall the card...

the biggest thing is, you CANT remove it, if it is one of those "finicky" PnP devices..

many other items such as USB thumb drives, micro drives, and memory cards are the same way. I have the micro drive for my camera, and If I remove it by just unplugging it sometimes it completely locks up my system

Ok dapper your turn, try a restart, wait til you are logged in on your desktop, and THEN plug your nic in and see if you still get the unstable connection.

also see if you can see the PnP icon I am reffering to in your system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen

Mike A!

Can you post screen shots of your device manager with the Network connections area showing? Also, Control Panel-> Network Connections

If you are running XP SP 2 try running this from a CMD line - NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG. Might also have to reinstall TCP/IP

doesnt work.i uninstall the nic in network devices and turn off.turn on with nin unplugged and the green icon come p for a few seconds and dissapears.i run the drivers and then plug in cable.still network cable unplugged.the connection number keeps going up.do i need to run network or new connection wizard each time?

dan

i did find the safely remove icon and did exactly what u said and then i was able to connect.i then shut it off and restarted the comp and back to the ssame problem.my friend who i am selling it to will want to turn it off im sure and so it does not help if it does not work every time.
any other ideas?

Have you tried using a different PCI slot?

Maybe the one you are trying to use is sharing with AGP slot or something.

Also, if this PC has onboard LAN make sure it is disabled in bios.

i have tried both pca slots.and i have looked twice in the bios where there no no mention of lan.i am working from the problem computer right now but i have not figures anything out since it seems pretty random.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back