Kaspersky false alarm quarantines Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by Dark Atheist, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

A faulty signature update from Kaspersky Lab on Wednesday flagged up Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) as infected with a low-risk virus, Huhk-C. As a result the core Windows component was quarantined or worse.

Kaspersky released a revised update alongside advice on how to recover legitimate system and application files from quarantine (the default setting) within two hours. But that's not much consolation for users that had set their software to auto-delete infected files, who found themselves with hosed systems.

Source
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/kaspersky_false_alarm/

2. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Ouch. I was doing a bit of gaming for the past two days... guess I lucked out since I had it turned off.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I noticed Kaspersky's HTTP monitor crashes tcp.sys or whatever it is if you're gaming. will probably swap back over to nod32

4. Jean from Symantec

Jean from Symantec OSNN One Post Wonder

Obviously, we at Symantec have been watching the situation with Kaspersky. For those of you who haven't considered Norton lately - maybe it's time to take the Norton Challenge and check out the improvements we've made! Check this out -- http://www.takethenortonchallenge.com/ This site shows you the enhancements we've made to our performance. Give it a try, there's a money back guarantee!

Jean (from Symantec)

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Have KAV 7 and games, torrent or whatever work just fine.

6. Dark Atheist

so what you lot advise nod3 or kav ?

7. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

I'm using the free 6 month trial of Kav 7 suite... haven't had any issues with it.... yet
    I used 4.x series for a few years and swore by it.

8. Dark Atheist

good swear by it or bad swear by it :p

9. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

jean, am hoping this is not a cut and paste from you but an actual post, if so, good to see you here, are you saying norton doesn't bog the computer down anymore and has as small a resource footprint as the other av's?

10. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Norton.... no thanks. If I had a dollar for every machine that I had to replace norton with something else.
    (although if Norton had a 6 month free trial, fully usable package, and if others claim that they have cleaned their act up... then I might consider testing it :) )

11. Perris Calderon

according to the add jean posted, it is not bloated anymore, click on the add, makes me want to give it a go

like you, I'm not going to buy it and then request my money back, if there's a trial period I'm gonna do it

12. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Yeah, I checked out the link.... 15 days isn't much of a trial period.

13. Perris Calderon

they really have to raise that to at least 3 months if they want someone to abandon their existing av

14. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have found Kaspersky 7 uses less then even Nod32.

Found a review of Symantec:
    Source

Does Norton use less then this?

Kaspersky 7

Attached Files:

15. Dark Atheist

guess i might have to give it a look over - im in the market for new av - it play nice with xp and vista ?

16. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

My comments regarding KAV causing a BSOD in the tcp.sys driver came after it bsod'd XP64 3 times when I tried to launch Everquest 2, Vanguard SOH and Pirates of the burning sea beta. As soon as I disabled its HTTP monitoring the games launched without crashing.

17. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

Guess the overwhelming lack of response leads me to conclude your 1st guess was right perris ;) :laugh:

18. unknownsoul

unknownsoul Moderator

I've been working Technical Support for an ISP here, and I've seen nothing but trouble from Norton. At least, in the off-the-shelf-for-regular-people version. I like their corporate edition, which has a smaller footprint, and has a much nicer layout.

Also, I hope they've fixed their problem with their firewall shutting of people's connections. I've seen that literally hundreds of times.

If they've fixed the firewall issue and their footprint is smaller, I'd be willing to give it a go.