Just had a weird instability...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

London, UK
    I am attaching a screen shot that I hope you can notice has all desktop icons blacked out within their outlines - additional to this none of them were operational (assuming I could remember what they were!)

At the same time the system was becoming slightly unstable with the start menu sometimes locking up and the task bar staying auto-hidden....

Only other thing I probably should say is I use the PowerTools Virtual Desktop to have like four desktops - but that seldom gives me problems like this. I have not tweaked the iconcache - wonder if that would help in this case?

Anyone else had this? Any ideas? Could it be I need to go for latest ATI dirvers to go with my 9700 pro?

Attached Files:

2. silis

silis The bum.

weird. ran into problems like that back in the 95/98 days. Get powertoys tweak UI, and see if a repair icons clickeroo fixes the problem. Its possible your icon cache got corrupted. Also, another culprit was virii. check for those too. maybe checkdisk/defrag, it could be possible that your hdd is conking out.