jswx??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by MJMoore, Jul 30, 2002.

1. MJMoore

MJMoore Guest

I have discovered a text file in my hard drive, entitled jswx. The content of this file is:
    WinMain - Web Function MainInitGlobals - Web Function MainInitWindow - Web Function
    Every time I reboot my machine, another line of this text is added, and if I delete the file, it returns the next time I start the computer.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this, or knew which program may be generating it? I know it's a long-shot, but maybe someone has seen this before!? :confused:

Thanks,
    Michelle

(Btw, I'm running Windows XP, and I have AV and a firewall.)

2. Scooby

Scooby XP User

My buddy had the same thing happen to him. We think it appeared after he installed ICQ. I think it may be a virus but not sure. We uninstalled ICQ and it was still there. We would delete it and restart and still be there. We then went in to the registry and deleted ICQ folder and then restarted and still there. So we said the hell with ICQ and reformatted the hard drive and put everything back on except for ICQ and it never appeared again. Therfore I believe it came from ICQ. If anyone else has seen this or had this problem, please let us know.

Thanks,

Scooby

3. allan

allan Guest

does the file have an extention?

4. Scooby

Scooby XP User

Honestly I can't remember what the file extension was. This was about 2 months ago.

5. Metalplane

Metalplane Guest

ICQ is known for adding spyware to your machine, try ad-aware and see if it will get rid of the file
    http://www.lavasoft.nu

6. MJMoore

MJMoore Guest

Mine is a text file (.txt), and I have already run Ad-Aware.

Michelle

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Does not look like it is doing any harm. It might be some sort of log for some web/internet program.