Java Program attracts Virus like flies!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Halder, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Halder

Halder OSNN One Post Wonder

In the past I have installed Java 2, RESE 1.4.2_04 and experienced several problems with Trojans entering my system. NIS didn’t catch them entering but NAV 2003 caught them after running a scan.

I deleted java in order to prevent the trojans from infecting my system.

Once I deleted java I had no problems, no more infections. Ran several Windows updates. Everything was fine. Regular NAV scans revealed no further infections.

I decided to install Java (same pgm) again several days ago. I ran a NAV scan 5 days after installation and found 5 trojans (byte verify being one).

What is it with this Java program? It seems to be a virus magnet. Is there anyway to keep the program and keep the virus’s out?

Thanks

Halder

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Mabey you are installing a trojan and don't know it?

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

AFAIK the JavaByte Verifier viruses only affect the Microsoft Java VM. Maybe you should figure out why NAV didn't block them in the first place?

http://java.com/en/download/help/cache_virus.jsp

Also, M$ itslef had patched this vulnerability months ago.

tom9042 likes this.
  4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

No issues with Java here - where are you getting this Java from? Downloading fresh the second time, or re-installing? Maybe you should check with them - more usually ActiveX is a suspect, that's not involved is it?

5. Halder

Halder OSNN One Post Wonder

Thanks J79ZLR, your link to the Java page explains my problem exactly, even the virus that are listed on the link are all the same ones that I have seen in my system.

Thanks again,
    Halder