Is this directory safe to delete?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sammy20, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Sammy20

Sammy20 Guest

\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\

It seems to be a back up directory for the SP1 Install.

Do I still need it?

2. allan

allan Guest

I wouldn't. It's SP1's equivalent of dllcache. It's a backup in case files become damaged or deleted.

However, you can copy it to a cd (or slipstream) and then it's safe to delete.

3. tbird

tbird Guest

i deleted it. and also "driver cache"

and my system works fine

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Your system will work fine until it looks there for the backup file to restore it.

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

do you have a very small harddrive?...are you short space?...if not, you will gain nothing by this deletion, and risk something serious

6. tbird

tbird Guest

when i install something and windows need a file from these folders, it simply ask me for windows cd

i like to have my windows in its own partition alone, so it will be less fragmented and always fast

and as small i can make their size, better

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

But wouldn't that be restoring the old files & not the newer ones from windows update?

8. Sammy20

Sammy20 Guest

Ok, I deleted it. I have SFC fully disabled, so this directory is pretty much useless to me.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

9. Sammy20

Sammy20 Guest

Just wondering, if anyone has done a fresh install of XP SP1 intergrated, and can tell me if they have that directory their?

10. Adam S

Adam S Guest

make sure to also delete the folder "winnt" or "windows" that will really save u some space

:rolleyes:

11. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If you have a slipstreamed Windows XP SP1 CD, you can safely delete the folder.
    When a protected file is damaged, Windows will ask you to insert the CD.

12. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

hey guys im gonna ask for advice, and no matter what you say, im gonna do whatever the hell i want anyway...

Brad

13. Sammy20

Sammy20 Guest

I was just making sure it wasn't an important directory. Which it wasn't, so I deleted it. Far out! Why do you have to be so rude? A you people that bored?

And YES, I am doing this to save SOME space. What's the big deal with that? Oh yes please windows eat up 500 M of my harddrive with useless backup data, thats on the CDROM, and is NEVER needed, and when used causes more hassle (ala uxtheme.dll)

14. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Cool it guys ...