Is this a router problem?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Guybrush, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

I have a Sony laptop running Vista Home Premium using a wireless internet connection via my Netgear router with no connection or disconnection issues.

Two days ago I received from an online company an Acer Aspire laptop which I had ordered, for my partner to use for her work. The problem is that I can connect to the internet wirelessly from my router but I will loose the signal after 5 minutes (even though my Sony Laptop has stayed connected) and it is necessary to restart the computer to establish an internet connection.

I have reset the laptop to factory settings and still have the problem. I have spoken to both Acer warrenty support and software support and they both say it is my router.

I may be pretty clueless about computers etc but I cannot see it being that problem because of no issues with my Sony laptop and a friends laptop.

Am I missing something or am I really that stupid!?

2. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

Maybe your router issues an already used IP to your laptop. Try doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew in command prompt to renew your IP and once that's done then try using your Internet. To avoid having to do that all the time you can reserve a permanent IP to your laptop's MAC address.

3. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

Many thanks for your prompt reply but I am not sure how to reserve a permanent IP to my laptop's MAC address.

4. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

Firstly did ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew get your computer to work? If so then my solution will work for you. I don't have NetGear but I found a page that explains how you can reserve an IP address for your router. Check this article here:
    http://www.tarling.info/netgear-DG834G-and-address-reservation-with-DHCP.php

5. Android412

Android412 OSNN Addict

maybe update the laptop driver for the wireless. you never know. just go to Acer's website, under support, input your model #

6. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Try the laptop on another wireless signal to see which end the probllem is on.

Also check if the LAN will stay connected.

7. Guybrush

Guybrush Village Idiot

Many thanks for all advice and ideas. I don't know what we did but we changed the power management and disabled numerous programs starting at boot up and all seems well.

At least I was right it wasn't the router!

Thanks again