Is there a free Irc that really works somewhere?

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by KidAztec, Jul 29, 2004.

1. KidAztec

KidAztec OS-X Rookie

Hi.
    I am a Mac OS-X 10.2.3 user. I'm looking for a normal Irc client. A free one, too. I use JediKnight for Irc.
    But the thing just doesn't have a "Resume" option going with file transfering. A lot of Irc clients don't have that simple option. (Why?...)

Another problem: I have downloaded many clients... Aqua, Colloquy, Conversation, X-Chat, etc. They just won't open! Why? What is happening?
    Can anyone tell me?

All I want is to share files with people! Help!

Thank you, KA.

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

4. KidAztec

KidAztec OS-X Rookie

Thank you!

Hey, thanx for the quick replies!

Unfortunately, nothing worked. I tried Babbel, but it crashed without a warning. It is now having a rest in my bin.
    I tried X-Chat again—the Superhero of Irc clients, apparently—and once again it would not open. I must be cursed.

Also, JediKnight, the one I'm using, won't send files.

I'll go have my computer repaired.
    Thanks again, KA.

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

what happens if you try to run it from the terminal? Does it give you an error message?

btw the SqueakNet (the network the #osnn channel is on) server list can be found here
    http://geffy.co.uk/xchat/

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

X-Chat Aqua never gave me any troubles on Jaguar. There was an issue with an older version that made it crash on start-up until you changed your login password (bizarre, but true) so perhaps you could give that a try.

May I ask why you're using 10.2.3 ? The upgrade to 10.2.8 is free and can be done via Software update.

7. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

a very valid point :confused:

8. KidAztec

KidAztec OS-X Rookie

Good point, Speedy...

Yes, why not update? Err... 'cause I didn't know. Eheh... I heard somewhere ignorance was bliss, so I didn't learn anything... Maybe they were wrong. I'll try the update for sure.

About X-Chat, I don't have any password, since I can't open the thing for a start. Or did I miss something? I'll check the website again. What I do is download the X-Chat, Stuffit does its job, then I click on the X-Chat icon... and nothing happens. When I check the Log section of the computer (I think it's called Log...), it says X-Chat crashed.

Guys, I insist on thanking you. I really appreciate your concern.
    I appear quite out of touch (KillaBunny, I don't understand a word of what you're talking about), but I'm trying hard to understand what's going on. Your answers help a lot.

Thanx, KA.

9. SPeedY_B

[Killa_Bunny] was talking about opening a terminal (command line) and launching the app from there.

With regards to the password thing, I meant your actual OSX password. You should have one which you set upon first setting up your mac. I had a problem with X-Chat Aqua crashing at start-up, and had to change my OSX password for it to work.. a very odd bug indeed.

Oh, and just for reference, as you're on 10.2, the latest XC-Aqua won't work, you'll need to install an older version, which you can get from here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xchataqua/X-Chat_Aqua.0.12.0.dmg?download, you'll also probably need to move it to your hard drive before running it.

10. KidAztec

KidAztec OS-X Rookie

Almost made it

My Computer is a joke. I downloaded the older version of X-Aqua and this time it was about to open… but "unexpectedly quit". What fun.

Concerning the password, we don't have one. Really. Should we?
    The comp is second-hand one. The guy who re-set it up for us just didn't enter any, didn't ask even.

Do you know if X-Aqua has a Resume option for the sending and receiving files? That's damn useful. mIrc has it. Ircle too, but that's $US20 a year. It's cheap, but you know... Also I'm in Australia.

Thanx again…
    KA

11. SPeedY_B

Yes XC-Aqua has resume.

Have you got all the latest updates from Software Update? There have been quite a few since 10.2.3

12. KidAztec

KidAztec OS-X Rookie

Updates

No, I never make updates. I should. I'm going to.

Viva X-Chat Aqua!

Thanx Speedy!!!
    KA.