Is it worth upgrading video card?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dltyrrell, Feb 13, 2002.

1. dltyrrell

dltyrrell Guest

I have a GeForce2 MX400, is it worth upgrading? Also, what is a descent upgrade without spending a ton of money. Thanks. I was looking at the ATI8500.

2. Ci2e

Ci2e XPert

NVidia

the ATI line as far as I know is out dated with the new GeForce 4 and there is a card that will meet everyones needs concerning price.

3. SirLasher

SirLasher Guest

I just went from a Mx card to a Gforce2 Ti and Im very happy with my choice. Ill be passing by the Gforce4's and probably upgrading with the cards that come out after those.

But going from a MX card to a Gforce2 Ti was a very good thing to do.
    IF you have the money and realllllly want to upgrade Id get a Gforce3 ti200

4. rookie

rookie Guest

go for it

the guy he's right man.I got the same card like you, I have the money for the G-force 3 Ti200 but I want to wait another month, maybe the prices will go down with the new G-force coming up, and I'll buy a G-force 3 Ti500 .we'll see about that.:D

5. duder

duder Guest

just wait a month until the gf3's come down

6. Ci2e

Ci2e XPert

If you have a personal holiday coming up why not just ask for what you really want?

7. Wait unitl the new ati cards comes out!I have the retail 8500 and it is a hell of a lot better that the gf3's!

ATI are gonna take over the graphics market

8. Detonator

Detonator OSNN Addict

ATI isn't taking over anything.The GeForce 4 will beat anything ATI can produce.Nvidia has a more reliable product.(and why were the drivers that were released with the Radeon 8500 cooked to run better Quake benchmarks?)

Nvidia rules.

9. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

If you're stuck with a crappy celeron chip like me, I wouldnt bother going much higher than a gf2 gts or something similar. I'd upgrade the cpu first. Define a tonne of money? In my mind, anything over $250 Canadian for a graphics card just to get some more fps is crazy but I guess people out there have alot more money to burn than I do. If you're a gamer and have some money to burn then go for the gf3 or gf4.

10. insaNity

insaNity Guest

It really depends on your CPU/chipset

In some cases, upgrading can have little to no effect.

in some vary rare cases, (like mine =[ ) it can even dramatically slow things down. But that is probably too rare to mention, and I cant be botherd explaining it all =P

11. Highwind7777

Highwind7777 Guest

go for radeon7500/8500
    nice cards for their price...and they have pixel/vertex shaders that the mx cards lack...

12. dArK_CyAnIdE

dArK_CyAnIdE Guest

well personnaly ill be upgrading to the radeon8500 from gf2MX until september where ill buy the new R300 hehehe directx9 pixel shader 2.0 and vertex S 2.0 also lol bring on unreal 2 and doom 3 LOL heheeh i know iknow i have money to spend lol

13. insaNity

insaNity Guest

Nvidia seems to be a lot more hassle free...at least at the moment...

14. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

To Highwind7777

Highwind7777,

are you sure that the Radeon 7500 really handles pixel/vertex shaders ? I own the 7500 and didn't know this, thought that only the 8500 had these features ?