is it possible that a gf2 is identified as gf4?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by baser5nature, May 17, 2003.

1. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

probably the goofiest mixup i've ever been involved in when purchasing something,

I ordered a Riva TNT2 32mb for my parents old computer from an online store, when it arrived the box said Geforce2 MX 400 64mb w/ tv-out, and when i opened it sure enough the card had tv-out, and what looked to be 64mb of ram. So i thought, cool lucky me, lucky parents, after installing the card and the latest detonators, it seems that the card is actually a Geforce4 MX 440 64mb w/ tv-out,

but this brings my question, is it possible that a GF2 could be mistaken by the drivers and winXP to be a GF4???

2. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

What does it say on the initial bios screen at bootup....it will tell you what card you have.If you have indeed got a better card keep stum.

3. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

oh you lucky a$$hole :p;)

4. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

:eek: :eek:

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, the drivers are pretty much always right on. if it installs the gf4 mx440 drivers and everything runs fine, then you indeed have an mx440. :D

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

considering the 2 are basically the same card with the gf4mx having some slight feature additions and a clock speed bump it could be a misread in the drivers :)

I would recommend that you check the clock speeds and see what they are saying to get an idea of whether or not the drivers are misidentifying the product (have seen that happen before.. even with nvidia cards) or whether you really did get lucky :D

7. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

yep... looks like it's definitely a Geforce4... video bios on boot up says so too!

8. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

if it looks like one/acts like one.. it MUST be one :D

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Does it taste like a gf4 too? :p

Sometimes you get lucky. I once ordered a 10Mbit hub (my first network) and got a 100Mbit hub. A few weeks later I ordered a 100Mbit hub and got a 100Mbit switch. :happy:
    And this was back when the difference in price was pretty steep. :)

10. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest