Is it normal for XP boards to display...

D

dep03

I just recently bought an XP barebone. I told the guy to get me an XP 2100. When I install Windows on the clean hard drive, it displays my comp as an XP 1500+ ? Why does it say 1500+ and not 2100?

Just wondering if that's normal or did I get something I didn't want. It also says its 1.3ghz... -__-

One thing is that AMD don't go by speed (ghz).
It looks like you got 1500 not 2100 as you asked. :mad:
1.3 ghz looks like a XP 1500.

well...

heres the thing

a lot of the "older" new boards need to be configured manually in the bios...

you are probably running @ the default fsb of 100... which should end up giving you are a rating of 1500+ or there abouts... which is what is being read...

once you change the front side bus to default 133 (which is therefore 266) when you boot you will see 2100+

once you have started up please update your bios... this will make it so that your motherboard will always show the correct processor information regardless of the speed your FSB is set to..

when I oc'd mine it kept saying 2100+...

I flashed my bios and now it says 1900+ no matter what I do :)

hope this helps...

btw... oc'ing is NOT recommended... unless you know what you are doing... warranties getting voided and stuff... dont attempt unless you have an idea about what you are doing...

:)

Check what CPU is displayed when you first start you computer (the memory test screen).

Well based on a little research I'm guessin u actually got a 1500+ as u said its clock speed is 1.3ghz which is what the clock speed for a 1500+ would be. Below are couple of links.

Check this chart out

or this one.

Check this chart also

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
One thing is that AMD don't go by speed (ghz).
It looks like you got 1500 not 2100 as you asked. :mad:
1.3 ghz looks like a XP 1500.

lol hipster...

read my post above...

fact is a lot of boards PURPOSELY set their default fsb to 100 so as not to burn out certain low end cpus that may be installed on them.... its a safety feature...

my board was running my cpu @ 1200mhz default... till I set my fsb correctly... thats what the problem with dep03 is...

yup chastity nailed it on the head...

now you can see what I am saying... lol... clock multiplier for the 2100 is 13... therefore default 100 fsb x 13 clock multiplier = 1300 therefore a DEFAULT clock of 1300mhz... which is 1500+

update your bios and change your fsb settings to the proper one of 133 and your speed will automatically be the proper one :) 1733 I think is the proper speed for 2100+ xp cpu...

Shouldn't the guy who put it together have done that. Don't think I would not be going back to him if that is the case.

AMD have been pulling the wool over peoples eyes me thinks.

no he didn't have to...

the bios settings are normally changed by the user... and therefore dep03 would be the end user who changes it...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppo...?UID=11 &NAME=MS-6380E

shows pdf dls for you see what I am talking about

here is an excert...

CPU Clock Frequency Selection through BIOS
The hardware configuration for CPU clock frequency of the motherboard is set to 100MHz by default. Therefore, to make a 133MHz CPU run at 133MHz when it is installed on the board, you have to adjust the CPU clock frequency in the BIOS setup utility.

this is for my board and am sure is the case for many other amd athlon boards... :)

its not an inferior product... and if you are not helping hipster... don't post... I don't wnt to start a flame war for amd v/s pentium... thank you very much :)

Don't wanna start a war don't throw rocks.

If dep03 aked for a xp 2100 that is what he should have got. The person who put it together should have seen to that. Hell there is no way I want to take home a brand new computer & then have overclock it. I would probably fry it.

A friend of mine bought a xp1600 thinking he was getting a 1.6ghz. Yes we all know now that is not how it works but what about a few months ago?

ps I did not call AMD an inferior product. Maybe that was a figment of your own inferiority.

And I believe I was helping in saying that the guy who put it together should put it to the way it was ordered.

I think if somebody was having a custom system built the person building it should have set it up correctly. Like in the case of dep03 here told a person to put in a 2100+ which means to me that the person building the system should have configured it the right way based on what was ask for. But lets hope dep03 gets it straighten out.

dood...

the computer processor is probably what he requested...

he does not have to overclock anything... the CPU is fine...

its the motherboard... the bios settings effectively UNDERCLOCK the cpu..

whether the guy should or should not have done anything concerning setting the proper bios settings... I don't know...

for all I know he puts the cpu on the mobo with cooling fixtures makes sure it works and then sells it...

taking it to 133 is the RECOMMENDATION... for a 2100+

13 clock multiplier x 133 = approx 1730 odd mhz... which is what he will get...

look at what he asked... all my posts have been on that topic... not on the reseller or anything.. cept my last one and this..

btw...
AMD have been pulling the wool over peoples eyes me thinks
?

AMD has a processor speed COMPARRISON to the intel processors... and normally undervalues itself... the 1600+ your friend bought easily outperforms a 1.6ghz pentium processor...

anyone purchasing from any decent place will see a placard or priceguide stating cpu = 1800+... quantispeed architecture operates @ 1.53ghz...

thats the way it is... AMD is not pulling the wool over anyones eyes... this is THEIR way of saying that speed is not all important... productivity matters...

however this is not important.. dep03 I hope can find his way into his bios and change his FSB to the correct setting... if you can't do that dep03 post again or PM someone and I am sure you will get the help you need...

cheers...

Originally posted by Chastity
I think if somebody was having a custom system built the person building it should have set it up correctly. Like in the case of dep03 here told a person to put in a 2100+ which means to me that the person building the system should have configured it the right way based on what was ask for. But lets hope dep03 gets it straighten out.

I agree entirely... :)

but herein lies the prob with barebones systems... if the guy you get it from does not know about the computer.. that is the risk you run...

a minor setting change and dep03 is on his way

Originally posted by Sazar
I agree entirely... :)

but herein lies the prob with barebones systems... if the guy you get it from does not know about the computer.. that is the risk you run...

a minor setting change and dep03 is on his way

Well here is what happened. My father and I went to a computer shop pretty far away since it had a good deal on the barebones it sold. Normally, they would've set up everything and configured it so that I'd be ready to install an OS by myself. Anyways, my father wanted to upgrade a few things and they said it'd take 2-3 business days to build that computer with the upgrades. My father didn't want that and told them that he'd take the parts home to assemble by himself. We didn't want to have to drive back over there since it's too far and we don't have time on the weekdays to go there to pick it up. We took the parts home and built it.

The first problem we had was the computer would auto-shut off after about 10-15 seconds. I read somewhere about that being a safety feature to try to prevent overheating. We had to take the heatsink/fan off and put it back on a few times until it would work. Then we came across this problem... the one where it shows we have the 1500+ instead of 2100+.

I'd like to thank everyone who posted suggestions and replies to this thread. I'd like to thank Sazar especially since his ideas sound logical. Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to try it tomorrow. It's getting late over here--1:30AM.

Thanks again guys.

If dep03 aked for a xp 2100 that is what he should have got. The person who put it together should have seen to that. Hell there is no way I want to take home a brand new computer & then have overclock it. I would probably fry it.

He asked for a xp 2100, and that is what he got. He doesn't have to overclock it, he just has to change the FSB so that it is running at it's normal speed. With the 100MHz FSB it is underclocked. There is no way you could damage the CPU by running it at the speed that it was designed to run at. The retailer probably didn't think to check the speed that it was running at. He probably just turned it on and it worked, so there you go.:D

yeah you need to change the fsb from 100 to 133 and it will show the true speed of your processor :p

Dep03 built the system HIMSELF. The retailer didn't put it together for him.

I have a feeling you have put the Heatsink on the wrong way.

Mmm... this'll be covered in my Make Your Own Computer guide coming soon peeps!!!

I ahve mine set to 133 yet it still appears as 66 in 3DMark :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back