is it a virus ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by billgates.con, Aug 8, 2002.

1. after clicking the trouble shooter tab for my modem, Norton i.s. 2002 found a malicious script named Help.ctr.exe.
    needless to say i done a full system scan and it found nothing,
    has anyone else had this and what is it ?

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

It could be. Both Norton and McAfee do heuristics scanning to find code that could be bad but isn't listed as a virus.

3. thanx for the reply Reg,
    any info is welcome, having all sorts of trouble with it.

4. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Go here and run a full scan of ur system. There are others out there to and they should be more up to date then Norton or McAfee for some reason

another online virus scan

5. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Yeah, but in his case, when Norton detected the file, it probably deleted it.

6. chastity

True but it would never hurt on the outside chance that Norton didn't delete and it could also give a little more info but he was looking for ideas so I give him mine. And the version Norton I've got I've got config to clean a virus from the file if that fails quarantine the file then I can do with it as I please but on the other hand u r most likely right

7. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

your link's got a comma instead of a period in it, chastity...here's a working one

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

8. chastity

Well that is what I get for typing the url as opposed to coping and pasting. Thanks jawshoouh and I did fix it in mine and it works now. I might post a different one since u got that covered jawshoouh. Also need to relearn how to spell but I think the spelling error I saw

9. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

Its probably not a virus... norton will sometimes block scripts when they try and interact with your computer in a cirtian way

10. thanx everyone for the info , much appreciated. cheers