Is a no-cd fix classed as warez ?

BonyTony

OSNN Senior Addict
I use some no-cd fixes on games so i dont have to swap cd`s all the time are these fixes classed as warez ?.:confused:

Good question!

I'd say yes it is warez.

The no-cd fix allows a person to pass on the original software to a third party. With the same no-cd fix as you have the third party can use the software without ever having paid for it. This can be propagated ad-infenitum.

That's my feeling.

Mubbers

i dont think they are warez.....your allowed to backup a game CD......if the original is lost or wrecked a no-cd is the only way to play

but they can definatly be used to play pirated games

Thanks just that i....

Had mentioned i used one in another post and was not sure where i stood on the matter (last time i mention no-cd fix)

Thanks Guys.

There are many tools available that can be used for both legit and warez purposes (password revelers or password crackers for eg) - even some available from the manufactures.
I don't have a problem with no cd cracks if soley used to avoid swapping cds. but for the prurposes of this forum, i think the less said about them the better

the answer to your question is No , a no cd crack is totaly legal to use
because you have payed for your copy of the game you have every right to use a no Cd crack,
what happened if your cd drive stoped working one day , you would be unable to play the game. so a no cd crack dont make your game warez,
its only warez if you have downloaed or payed for a copy thats not on its orignial cd/'s.
hope this clears things up for you :)

Isn't there something in the end user agreements for all software that goes somthing along the lines of:

"thou shalt not illegally modify the software for purposes of piracy etc.."

I'm sure there is and wouldn't the no-cd crack be counted as such?

Good point though Surge :) I suspect this debate could go around for a while!

Mubbers

well yeah i guess that a "no cd crack"
would come under modifying the software but as long as hes not selling the software on to other ppl then thats ok.
maby we should get incontact with a major Game company and see what they have to say on the matter? ;) any one here want to email Epic and ask if its ok to use ut2k3 wiht a cd crack lol

I think the problem is that No CD cracks fall into the "grey area" of forum eitiquette and law. It is grey because you are basically bypassing system code to gain access to the program which you may not have the right to access.

The problem is the "may" section of statement. If you have purchased a license to use the software and have cracked it and ensure you are the sole user of the software, it could be considered legal. If on the other hand you are doing it to copy the software and distribute over the internet or to a friend then it is definately illegal. Backing up software is a different issue altogether and is not related to using CD-cracks.

Generally if you want to be considered as completely legal it is best not to crack the software you own, if anything, and I don't mean to scare anyone here, if a law enforcement agency of your country siezed your computer you couldn't be done for potential piracy. There may be some exceptional circusmstance where it could be legal if releated to a back-up issue.

An interesting point will be to see if Microsoft's suggested Pallindrome model does materialise and have the security features implemented mentioned in the articles. If they are, then piracy could be discouraged.

I must disagree with some of you.
the no-cd.exe that are available should NOT be considered Warez.
(of course it does depend on how they are used, but hell--I can stab someone through a vital organ with a pencil, but does that make the pencil a lethal weapon.)

Case in point: I have several computers, new and older. I purchased 2 copies of UT2003. This game uses a secureromII type of protection, but the problem is that cd drive on my older computer has trouble with the secureromII, and the game often cannot be played with the correct CD in the drive. 3 solutions:
1. I contacted Epic-> they gave me a no-cd file to use on the older computer.

2. You can use the UT2003.exe from the Official DEMO. Just replace the Retail UT2003.exe with the one from the demo-> presto no cd needed.

3. You can obtain a CRACKED .exe from lots of places on the web which also solves the problem.

I own the games. I paid for the games. If I were so inclined I am ALLOWED to make a backup.

2 of the above mentioned solutions are entirely legit, while the third option is questionable. Again it all depends upon how you are using the no cd patch-- making adjustments so that you can play a game that you own, or using it to play a warezed copy of the game.

Any of you with young children know what happens to CDs when they get into inquisitive little (and dirty) hands. the noCd feature allows me to save the precious Game CDs from the destructive force unleashed my children--I can keep them safe and out of reach.

Again, Is the pencil a tool, or is it a lethal weapon??? Most use it properly.

Course, that's just MY opinion....and I'm stickin with it!!
:D :D

Posted by LPDad
I must disagree with some of you...

Any of you with young children know what happens to CDs when they get into inquisitive little (and dirty) hands...

LPDad

I was going to use that very example as a counter in my 1st post (honest!). I've backed-up my favourite music CD's because of the kids and also coz the CD player in the jeep tends to scratch them a lot (offroading whilst listening to CD's - not a good idea!). :D

You're right about pencils. However the liklihood is that a pencil will not be used as an offensive weapon. They banned handguns in the UK because there isn't really an alternate use for handguns... So is a no-cd crack a pencil or a handgun?

Another point- RTCW doesn't require the CD in all the time so what's ID's philosophy compared with others...

Good debate.

Mubbers

The answer is simple even though it is vague. A no-cd crack could be used for illegal purposes. I have purchased UT2K3 and have considered using a no-cd crack just for the convenience of it as well as the fact that it will preserve the "newness" of the original cd. Although it has a legitimate use, it is technically against the forum guidelines to discuss such things. There are many places, away from here, to discuss and look for things along these lines.

Hehe...Mubbers, isn't it amazing how kids make you RETHINK everything??

After raising children NOTHING is the same!!:D

I forgot to mention that even EPIC allows the posting of links to no-cd "fixes" in their forums. I think this is because they have had so manycomplaints of problems with the securerom2 not working properly.

It;'s a difficult call, ,if a game (for example is released) and it requires you to have the CD in the drive, they have done it for a reason ... in the case of UT2K3 it doesn't even need the CD, so teh sole reason for having the CD is so the game will run.

Cracking software is a game of chance, r!sc is a mate (the guy that cracked gta3 - took him 3 attempts) all he does is mess about and see what works (busted him hackin his diablo2 accountonce) - this can lead to anything breaking (save games screwed in gta3 etc.)

We will make an exception in the case that the manufacturers will not upport or respnd to porlems that arise from the CD protection - that is our officail stance, and that is all.

If you think this is a questionable issue, what about virtual cd mounts? You can take almost any cd. create an iso of it, then mount that iso image on your hd basically tricking your computer into thinking its another cd drive. I do this all the time, very convienent =) and as far as I know, completely legal.

with all the games I bought I have downloaded NO CD patches for all of them, I am too lazy to insert a cd also if you insert a cd your processer will read it therefor it will be exhausted.
in the end you may modify your games as long you paid for them, you bought a game you may use a crack( it's like scratching your own cds) if your read AN EULA it doesn't mention this as a warez or illegal issue.

My question is... who cares if its legal or not. If you are using the NO-CD Fix at your house, who is gonna know but you?? Well of course, now everyone in the forum who has read this post knows... but really.

If I had enough interesting games at one given time and I was too lazy to keep changing CDs... I wouldnt hesitate to use a NO-CD fix if it was legal or not... CD's end up with a lot of scratches overtime.

Fix, crack, download all you want... just dont make it publicly known you sell the illegal goods (web site, roadside). And don't do massive volumes of it on strictly monitored servers (educational, government). Probably having so many CD's that you end up using them for coasters or household decorations would probably not be a good idea either. Hell, thats a good idea... take the older illegally burnt CD-R's and use them for christmas ornaments.

Sure, this post is humorous. Why not bring some light on the topic since everyone else is so righteous about. What's it gonna matter in 50 years anyway. Besides, this world has more important things to worry about. People blowing themselves up, offing each other, and etc.

well. if it was legal, then people would be free to post all the no-cd keys here or on any website. (For some reason I doubt this ;) )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back