Irritating Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ezergeezer, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Ezergeezer

Ezergeezer OSNN Addict

Just another of those irritating problems that come along every now and then to test us, so here it is. :mad:

My adsl connection keeps dropping around every 3-5 minutes for some reason. I've spoken to support they tested the line and said everything was ok their end, so must be something my end, they told me to check the line filter, re-install modem and software, turn off Zonealarm, do virus scan. No joy!
    They even gave me some special BT Test to connect to also. No Joy!

Anyone any ideas?

2. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

Modem could be taking a dump, could have some sort of a virus, networking cable could be bad, Do you have a router? It could be many things. The best thing you can do with ZA (IMHO) is to uninstall it.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

When I use bittorrent this happens. I tried a lot of things to fix it, but nothing seems to work. My next course of action will be to try another modem...

4. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Hmmm.
    Try reinstalling the modem, maybe its clashing with something.

5. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Do you have the Modem connected to a Surge Supressor before it goes to the Wall phone jack?

They are known to cause problems. I would suggest connecting the modem directly to the phone jack in the wall. Oh, and do not have a line filter on the line going to the Modem.

Check the phone cord going to the Modem and the RJ45 cable going from the Modem to the computer for damage or loose or bad plug. Sometimes the locking clip on the plug gets weak or breaks.

You could also do a firmware update to the modem.

Or if you have a friend or neighbor that has the same setup maybe you can coax them into letting you borrow their Modem for a quick test.

Also check the power adapter for the Modem (if it has one), see if the wire from it is not damaged.

Another thing is to check the phone jack in the wall... maybe one of the wires came loose or broke, or the phone cable broke internally and ya can't see the break. Change out the cable with another one.

6. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

I had this problem. I could only get connected if I took the phone off, of the hook dialed my own number then I could connect.

I used various things to correct it, firstly if you're modem is via usb then try update for usb. Next get new filters, coz if I think you may have got a broadband connection with free modem and those filters suck eggs. Speak to whoever gave you the service and ask fro new filters. Make sure that the connections are done correctly, filter in phone socket then modem cable into modem socket and then phone into phone part on filter, if you have any other sockets around flat/house, make sure you got a filter in it too. If you have everything set up right then speak to service provider and tell them to get the exchange to test their modem. You mentioned zone alarm firewall, well firstly do a spyware check with adaware, then do a system clean with windows washer, clean otu all temp files and a registry clean with reg cleaner.

Reinstall zone alarm do a clean install and then when you reboot and try to connect run all permissions again.

I would also ask if you have a satellite decoder also connected to your phone line, sometimes that can cause breaks in connection as satellite company sends signals to decoder to update it every-now-and-again.

This could help you too: http://www.altohiway.com/cgi-bin/knowledge/99.html

7. Ezergeezer

Ezergeezer OSNN Addict

Still irritated

Thanks guys, but still no joy!

Gonaads: Modem not attached to a suppessor, I'm in UK so cant plug in phone socket without using splitter/filter, and i have changed filter for another just in case it was that. It's a USB modem. All cables ok! No new firmware I checked! Have re-installed modem also.
    If I had damaged phone socket or jacks, phone would'nt work, right?

Dubbin1: Are there problems with ZA and dropping connections then?
    I've used it for well over 2 years with no trouble!

I gonna see if I can blag a modem for me to check.

Cheers guys for the help.

The best support statement ever: "Everything seems fine this end".

8. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

You can use a splitter but dont put the modem on a filter, it will filter out the frequency that the modem uses and will cause problems. The filters are meant to only allow voice not data, they "filter" out the data frequency so the phones dont interfere with the modem and the phones dont receive the frequency from the data (modem). Hope this makes sense, Im trying to word it as best I can, I kno how it works just trying to put it into words.

9. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Did you by chance connect any other USB peripheral to the computer? If yes did this problem start then? If no... ummmmmm???

But also as Admiral Michael explained And I said before, NO filter on phone cord from wall to Modem. (see attachment)

You could try this:

Sometimes your DSL modem and the corresponding DSL modem at the telco lose synchronization. This can happen from line noise or power glitches. Thankfully it's easy to resync them.

* Power-down your DSL modem and unplug it from the DSL phone line.
    * Leave the DSL modem and line unplugged for 5 minutes.
    * While your waiting, restart your computer and any other equipment between the DSL modem and the computer.
    * Power-up the DSL modem and plug-in the DSL phone line.
    * Wait for the appropriate green lights.

10. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Well I have to say that the "Everything is fine at our end, must be yours" statement is the general line when they don't know what is wrong or they can't get someone out to fix asap. I would run a series of loop-back tests on your modem. If you can pass the loop-back tests, then plug your phone into the modem line jack and see if you hear static or crackling. If you don't, it is deffinatly a problem on their end and you just have to give them a ton of crap about it to get them to fix their equipment.

11. Ezergeezer

Ezergeezer OSNN Addict

Ok I'm Back

Ok guys, low and behold, normal service resumed! Did all the checks, re-installed modem for the fourth time, did'nt do anything out of the ordinary, normal service back, been connected for 7 hours so far without a drop. :)

That was close, I was starting to price up new Modem/Router.

Cheers again guys for quick responses and help.

12. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Good to hear! Glad that there is nothing wrong with your equipment.

13. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

is the modem loosing the system signal, or is your computer loosing it's link to the modem?

if modem is loosing it's signal, that is your ISP's fault. otherwise it is your prob, but it is good to here your fixed. W/b