iPod Nano Battery Swelling

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Dec 16, 2007.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

In the pictures below, the large silver bulge you can see is my Nano battery, which should actually be flush with the white casing it resides in. Im rather fortunate it didn't explode on me...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cocking thing, I need a new iPod now! (I don't trust the crappy replacement batteries on the market).

2. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Damn that's nasty. Have you tried eBay? A lot of OE batteries for iPods on eBay.

3. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I would call Apple, and have them fix or replace it. no excuse for that

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

is that a battery about to explode in your pocket or are you just happy to see me

5. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

It's Gonna Blow!!!!!

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I would contact Apple about a replacement. I would also be VERY careful how you handle that thing, those batteries exploding can be nasty I've read. Also how did you notice it was swelling like that, did it push the bottom off?

7. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Is Apple entering the explosive battery market too? :D

I think Apple customer service would be anxious to take that off your hands.

8. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

It was pushing the select button out such that it could not be depressed. Details on his blog ;)

9. SPeedY_B

Indeed. The damned buttons stopped working, and then I noticed that both the front and back were not flat.

Having contacted someone who works at Apple (not Apple's customer support), they've stated because I've opened it, they're not interested. Also of note, it was out of warranty, therefore I'd likely not have sent it back to Apple anyway.

As for batteries, I know of friends who have replaced their batteries, and had no problems, I'm just a little concerned that if an Apple battery can do this, then what will happen to a ****ty Chinese mass-produced battery which has not been through the same (apparently, lacking) safety checks?

10. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

send it to them in the post - lable it - BOMB! - they might be interested then :p

11. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

Most likely, the apple battery is a "*****y" Chinese massed-produced battery as well.

12. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I'd have to agree.

13. Dark Atheist

or is this what they want? you have to buy another apple product

14. gonaads

If you didn't give them (Apple) your name (and even if you did I doubt they are going to tell Apple Support) call Apple Support and tell them that it popped open. You don't need to tell them that you opened it. See what they say then.

Tell them that it burned you when you grabbed it to see what was happening and if they don't get you another one that you will sue them. That might get their attention. ;)

Just don't give up. What do you have to loose? You have already lost the iPod.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  15. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Get an extension cord and an old charger, dock it and then tape the event. spontaneous Nano combustion, or explosive nano, Youtube baby!!! I betcha Apple will care than.

16. SPeedY_B

Not a bad idea that. Santa already bought me a replacement, but I still like the 1st Gen Nano's, so I may just have to give that a go :)

17. gonaads

Bump

So what happened?

18. Dark Atheist

did it go snap crackle and pop! :p

19. piercex2

piercex2 OSNN One Post Wonder

The same thing happened to me today. Was your ipod out in the cold for any amount of time? I'm trying to figure out if the cold was the problem or if it's just a cheap, faulty, piece of crap battery. Anyone have any ideas??

20. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Cold is definitely not an issue if my iPod Mini is a testament of anything. My iPod mini has survived being outside, lying on the ground (unbeknown to me), while it was freezing that night (-6C). It to this day is still fully functional.