iphone question

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Perris Calderon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

so the iphone is such a good piece of hardware with some excellant programs to download but I don't want the provider which means I might buy the phone just to play

if I do this can I download the programs through my computer or do I need to use it's native provider to get those programs?

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

app store just connects over 3g/wifi to download apps - it helps if you have unlimited data.

You'll loose out on visual voicemail though if you don't go with the offical carrier. I believe thats the only feature you'd want to hook up with whoever does the iPhone in the US.

3. Perris Calderon

videp voicemail sounds cool but I can do that with any phone if I set it up

I am not going to switch providers there's nothing better for me then sprint but man I love the programs on that phone, so I can just go to wifi and download away?

nice

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Wouldn't you just get the iPod Touch in this case? I believe it does everything the iPhone does, except make phone calls since it's not a phone.

Perris Calderon likes this.
  5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Its not video, its presented as a list of numbers who left a message, you can pick which messages to listen to and delete them using the iphone interface rather than a telephone menu system.

Its not the end of the world though.

Yup :) All you need to do now is find an iPhone 3G not carrier locked. You will also need to find carrier unlocked firmware updates too.

6. Perris Calderon

muzikool told me something I didn't realize, I can just get the hardware minus the phone

can that download the programs from computer?

dreamliner77 likes this.
  7. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

well, the ipod touch is just that - an ipod.. the iPhone does have a few features that the Touch does not. Applications that use these features won't work without upgrading your Touch:

* phone (obviously) which also includes SMS
    * Camera
    * Apple stocks application
    * Apple./Google maps application
    * Apple Weather app
    * Apple Notes app
    * Apple Mail app

Now, there is an update for the Touch that costs $20 that brings in the Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes & Weather apps so, if you get one used, make sure they already upgraded it (or be prepared to pay $20 extra to get the update yourself). So, after the $20 update, you're left with something near the same minus the phone features and the camera (note: you can still put pictures on the iPod Touch - just can't take pictures).

8. Perris Calderon

does the touch have have an accelerometer?

9. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

The 2nd gen ipod touch has all these features minus the phone, camera and gps, otherwise they are exactly the same.

and yes both the first and 2nd gen touch has the accelerometer

and if you did have the 1st gen i believe its only $10 to upgrade to firmware 2.0 which the 1st gen has natively.

To be honest i dont know why you would waste your money on the iphone if you are actually not going to use it as a phone, just buy a touch instead.

10. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

I couldn't live without my iPod Touch, I can browse the internet, check my emails, the weather, read the news, listen to music, I sometimes just sit spinning the accelerometer, I play games, watch videos or the BBC iPlayer (for UK peeps only) view my holiday snaps, and much much more. I can even dress it up in sexy skins and adorn it with little charms if I so choose. Today mine is sporting a pretty pink silicon number with a silver letter A charm similar to the one below :cool: :laugh:

[​IMG]

11. lancer

wow someone really does love you little touch.:laugh:

12. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Two apps dominate my usage of my phone.

Shazam and Orb. Orb is the greatest app I have used thus far (besides Shazam).

I mean, LIVE streaming tv, anywhere I go that has at least full strength Edge or better.

13. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Saz, you need a tuner card in the PC to do live TV do you not?

14. lancer

i believe so, its a cool tool, but you can also just put movie in it and stream those as well.

15. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Yes, but I have 2. :)

And you also need a card which can stream in a particular format, which both mine do.

lancer likes this.
  16. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

Yes, the iPod Touch also has an accelerometer. The new iPod Touch 2G has a faster processor than the iPhones.

In response to your original question, you can't get an iPhone without activating it because AT&T doesn't allow that. You can buy iPhones that are unlocked and being sold online but those are expensive and you'd be better off getting an iPod Touch 2G since you said you aren't using the phone features.

17. Mizzle

Mizzle Oh, now I know...!

You could of course also buy one from one of the few countries that sell it without a contract :)