iPhone Jailbreak?

Just to fuel some flames, Cydia > Installer (the old standard pre-2.x).
I'd have to agree with you on this one Xie. Cydia is better than Installer because it has a lot more sources/repos as of right now. Installer is still in beta and has a lot of bugs and glitches.

i've read today that a team has unlocked a jailbroken iPhone 3G, but the hack its not released to the public yet

and.. most likely will be re-locked with the next firmware update, heh

i've read today that a team has unlocked a jailbroken iPhone 3G, but the hack its not released to the public yet

and.. most likely will be re-locked with the next firmware update, heh
You heard right. The iPhone Dev Team has unlocked the iPhone 3G and they'll be releasing an unlock on New Years Eve!

"The unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband and requires a jailbroken 3G iPhone."

because i'm lazy i'll just ask the question.

can i unlock a 2nd gen iphone?

just saw that.... thanks gigabot.... man you are everywhere...

damn shrink! he just cost'd me a laptop xD

so if i buy a 1st gen iphone, i can unlock it to firmware 2.2 right?

well i just bought a locked att phone on ebay... should receive it this week i hope. i'll let you know how it all turns out.

FYI, my experience and may not hold true for you, but 2.2 caused me to not be able to connect to my home wifi (though a close by unprotected worked fine). After downgrading it back to 2.1 I'm able to connect again and I'm waiting for 2.2.1 but looking like maybe I'll have to wait for 2.x to come out. :(

Oh and watching those youtube videos really are no help at all and the quality sucks. If you need a guide the ones on hackthatphone are the best that I've found.

*edit* - Oh and it's the baseband updates (like the one in the 2.2 update [3G only] that are causing (or will cause) issues for unlocking the 3G iPhone. :)

FYI, my experience and may not hold true for you, but 2.2 caused me to not be able to connect to my home wifi (though a close by unprotected worked fine). After downgrading it back to 2.1 I'm able to connect again and I'm waiting for 2.2.1 but looking like maybe I'll have to wait for 2.x to come out. :(

Oh and watching those youtube videos really are no help at all and the quality sucks. If you need a guide the ones on hackthatphone are the best that I've found.

*edit* - Oh and it's the baseband updates (like the one in the 2.2 update [3G only] that are causing (or will cause) issues for unlocking the 3G iPhone. :)

Is the WiFi working for you now? I heard that those that have used ZiPhone in the past could have permanent damages on their iPhone due to it (because of the way ZiPhone works).

haha.. u cant let ur guard down even a second here :D

Is the WiFi working for you now? I heard that those that have used ZiPhone in the past could have permanent damages on their iPhone due to it (because of the way ZiPhone works).
Nope used PwnageTool (Quickpwn). Wouldn't use ZiPhone as I've heard bad things and it's just a modified repackaged PwnageTool.

As for your question no, I couldn't get connected to my protected WiFi after messing w/ every setting I could for several days. I just downgraded back to 2.1 (you can't do that with 3G as 2.2 had a baseband update) and all was back to normal.

Oh and from Dev Team:
This unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband or earlier, we did warn you.
Which I believe is the baseband version prior to 2.2, so those that upgraded against Dev Team advice are stuck (for now). ;)

Nope used PwnageTool (Quickpwn). Wouldn't use ZiPhone as I've heard bad things and it's just a modified repackaged PwnageTool.

As for your question no, I couldn't get connected to my protected WiFi after messing w/ every setting I could for several days. I just downgraded back to 2.1 (you can't do that with 3G as 2.2 had a baseband update) and all was back to normal.

Oh and from Dev Team:

Which I believe is the baseband version prior to 2.2, so those that upgraded against Dev Team advice are stuck (for now). ;)

You're right about ZiPhone, no one should use it since it can do permanent damages to your iPhone. I don't have an iPhone so I can't troubleshoot your problem but I highly recommend going to a forum like ModMyI.com if you plan on jailbreaking to 2.2. It's really worth the upgrade to 2.2 and you'll notice quicker application installs, and Safari browser won't keep freezing as it does in the 2.1 firmware.

Oh and from Dev Team:

perhaps you where using an unsupported security protocal, did you try changing the wireless channel?

Gigabot said:
I don't have an iPhone so I can't troubleshoot your problem but I highly recommend going to a forum like ModMyI.com if you plan on jailbreaking to 2.2. It's really worth the upgrade to 2.2 and you'll notice quicker application installs, and Safari browser won't keep freezing as it does in the 2.1 firmware.
Can't tell me you don't have an iPhone and then quote me update notes. :p App installs have never been an issue and the Safari helps with crashes (stability) not freezing (though at the cost of my WiFi). ;) Other then that the major reason people were upgrading is the added features to google maps.
perhaps you where using an unsupported security protocal, did you try changing the wireless channel?
I'm using WPA2 (supported) and same wireless channel as before I upgrade my firmware. :p It's the firmware (check apple forums) not my network. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back