iPhone 'Catch'

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by leedogg, Jul 10, 2007.

1. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

Just an FYI.

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/07/why-was-iphones.html

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I'm pretty sure I knew about the battery and the fee before the iPhone was released. Still, I'd like to see Apple significantly reduce the fee.

3. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Or ya know... do what most electronic device manufactures do.... let you replace it yourself.

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

how 'bout significantly adding a battery door?

Sazar likes this.
  5. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

lol. but then they couldnt control the supply of batteries. keeping their users dependant on Apple for all hardware is an apple tradition.

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

That IS a significant idea.

7. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

My idea is for the current generation. I really hope the 2nd-gen has a user-replaceable battery.

8. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Send me your phones peeps, I'll MAKE a door. :)

Just to put my 2 cents in, there are dozens of companies that pull this stunt every year.

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I figured they would at least let you go to a local Apple store and get the battery replaced at the "Genius Bar" or something.

Replacement batteries for comparable phones cost ~$20-$30, and it takes 10 seconds to switch them yourself. In this case, you pay $85 to get the battery replaced, plus $30 for the "privilege" of being able to use a phone while yours is gone for 3 days.

If this isn't complete disregard for loyal customers, I don't know what is. It still amazes me how people are willing to get screwed over like this.

10. Aprox

You cant spell Idiot without apple.

*runs*

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

/me signs up for the school Aprox went to.

:lick:

12. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

My advice is wait for at least the next generation

13. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

What a total scam!

You would think the darn thing allows you to buy 3 -4 batteries so you can easily replace them on the fly when one needs to be recharged but they soldered the battery in and sealed the box hahaha

Apple... innovating your world

People who need there phones on the go are truely hosed

14. Aprox

To be honest egghead I did not even think of that... I was stuck on the fact of it getting wore out. But you bring up a great point, what if you want to go on a extended trip were you wont have the chance to charge your phone? Sometimes I carry up to 3 charged LIion batts with me so I can swap them out when I need to.

15. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

300 cycles is what, about a year and most people upgrade their phone every year anyway

16. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

After about 400 cycles Apple says it will hold 80% of it's original charge, which is more than what most people use before throwing it into a charger. This entire drama over batteries was started when some retarded reporter suggested that after 300 charges your iPhone would be useless as it's battery would be dead.

As for extended travelling, the iPhone's batter lasts about 6 times the life of the battery does in my phone (talk time), standby time is off the charts. I got my cell phone not even a year ago, and if I talk about 2 hours on the phone it will start beeping at me telling me to re-charge it. My phone can be in Stand-by for 3 days before it's battery is done.

BTW, you can buy an recharger for the iPod which will work with the iPhone, in which you stick a 9 volt battery to get an extra juice boost, and don't tell me that is inconvenient since carrying around extra batteries is the same thing.

17. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

An extra Battery last about 4 hours (Multimedia / continuous use) if you choose to use the iphone as designed to be used

Keep your charger close to the socket'

Good to see you X-Istence

18. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, if it costs $115 to replace the batteries in this thing, you might as well get a new phone.
    I see smartphones selling for $99 with new contracts. ;P

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  19. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

How long is the iphone contract?
    Could always upgrade to a new iphone? :p

I am sure Apple will do something, didn't they just get a boost from Greenpeace for being more green-friendly? :p

20. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I don't care (to a certain point) how many charges the battery will last as long as it's user-replaceable.