interesting data on vista sp and who wants a sticky?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

typically in xp after an sp we had some serious file defragmentation, so much that performance was effected until a defrag

so I installed the vista sp and the box was much more responsive, I think *man, I wonder if a defrag can improve the performance much*

so guess what?

there was almost no file defragmentation from the sp, I started with about 1 percent and after the sp I ended with one percent, I did a defrag anyway but no improvement of course

interesting

I wonder if the sp removed the other hotfixes, I kind of doubt it because then a system restore wouldn't remove the sp

anyone have a tutorial on removing hotfixes that are addressed with the sp?

if somoene comes up with that tutorial I am gonna give it a sticky because that will get plenty of traffic, if you don't have a sticky yet and want one you can try to put together that file removal tutorial

thanx in advance

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Historically you can't remove components within a service pack, such as hotfixes from what you mention. That being said, and I could be wrong here - The Service pack, among other things, is a roll-up of previous patches. I'm thinking it checks for these updates and skips them if installed. So, theoretically, they should still be listed in Programs and Features (wow almost typed Add/remove :p), and you could then be able to install. HOwever, there are some new ones I think in the Service Pack that were not previously available.

Outside of that, you'd have to remove the service pack as a whole.

That's a lot of assuming though, and we all know what happens when you do that... :p