IntelliPoint/IntelliType 5.5 x64 released!

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
UPDATE: Released. See the following post:
http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?p=677343#post677343
------

Microsoft mice and keyboards currently have basic functionality with the 64-bit versions of Windows. In order for advanced features like Magnifier and Tilt Wheel to function, IntelliPoint and IntelliType Pro version 5.5 device software is required. Version 5.5 will support x64 Windows Client and will be available via web download on or before January 1, 2006.
http://blogs.msdn.com/scarbones_blog/archive/2005/12/07/500859.aspx

About bloody time! Looks like everyone's starting to release x64 versions of their software and drivers right after I built my new box. :D

Will be setting up this and PerfectDisk when I bring the machine back from home in January. Now all I need is an x64 version of Windows Desktop Search...

Last edited:
Now this is good news. My trackball optical is the only thing that doesn't work on my XP 64 bit system.

Yeah, I've been using these for a couple of days.
Nice to finally be able to use all the hotkeys on my Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard. :)

I'm glad other people are enjoying the 64-bit versions of Intellipoint and Intellitype. Me personally, I already can't stand them. And here's why;

1) Intellipoint 5.5's default action for the middle button is Next Window. This overrides applications like Firefox and Blender which have their own behaviour for the middle-click. Not to mention it's stupid on its face. Surely if I have my hand on the mouse already and I want to change windows, I can CLICK ITS BUTTON ON THE TASKBAR and go right to it? The default action for middle clicking in every Windows I've ever tried has been autoscroll, so why do Microsoft decide it would be a good idea to make it a completely useless alternative?
2) Still on the subject of Intellipoint, the "back" and "forward" options for buttons, which I had bound to the left and right side buttons of my Intellimouse Optical, ONLY work in browsers and Windows Explorer. In Intellipoint 5.2, the version I have installed in 32-bit XP, it works in just about everything, including apps like ACDSee and 2xExplorer.
3) Intellitype 5.5 hijacks the use of the volume keys on my Natural Multimedia Keyboard. Again, this overrides its function in QCD Player, which under 32-bit XP allows me to change the volume of QCD with those keys, and NOT the entire system.

Frankly, it nauseates me. I'm going to uninstall both and try the older, 32-bit versions. If they work, they should do what *I* want, not what Microsoft has decided I want.

EDIT: Question answered; they refuse, point-blank, to install under XP64.

32-bit drivers will never work on a 64-bit operating system. :)

Your first problem can be easily solved by changing the default action of the middle click in the IntelliPoint settings. I've set it to perform the application's default middle-click operation, which means it opens up a new tab in Firefox and so on.

I can't really say anything about your other two points since I only really use my back/forward buttons for browser/Explorer navigation, and I don't use ACDSee or QCD Player. Someone else who does might be able to offer suggestions though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back