installing xp with a upgr. cd without installing an earlier version

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gustav64, Sep 23, 2002.

1. gustav64

gustav64 Guest

Hi guys!

As you can see, i'm a newbie.

You can allmost see my question in the subject. Is it possible to install xp with the upgrade version, without installing for instance ME first.

Have to say; this is one of the best forums I've ever seen.:D

2. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

welcome! no you can only install the upgrade over a previous version of windows as the full version has all the files it needs where and upgrade uses files from the previous operating system as well as updating or adding new files:)

3. allan

allan Guest

Not true. You absolutely can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. The upgrade version contains everything that is on the non-upgrade ("full") version.

Just go ahead and boot to the cd and do the install. At some point you'll be asked to insert the original disk from a prior OS just to prove you have it. That's it.

4. Eve

Eve Guest

Gustav64: as far as I know you don't actually have to have the other os installed you just need the installation cd to prove you have the other version and are not just try to get XP on the cheap. The upgrade cd searches for other versions of Windows and if It cannot find one it asks for the cd. I'm not certain about this, but I did an upgrade and I'm pretty sure this is what is said on the instructions.

5. cruiser78

cruiser78 Me

Yes, Eve and allan are right.

6. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

you learn something new everyday especially on here

7. Nedreplan

Nedreplan Guest

Yes..it is that way. I have an upgrade version of WinXp HE as I have a full version of Win98.

Just boot up with WinXp CD..and when it asks for proof of a full version of an earier OS you put in that CD (Win98, WinME or Win2000), it checks..clears it..and then you put back the WinXp CD.

If you have an earlier version of Windows it is no point in buying a new full version. Expensive!! And you will get the same stuff anyway...

8. allan

allan Guest

Just curious - didn't we already establish that?

9. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Allan - I don't have the "XP cd"(or any other prior Windows cd neither) thanks to HP and their hidden partition - however I will still be able to use an upgrade version on my next Windows blah blah blah since I have XP currently installed - Yes?

10. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

If The OS is on the HDD (and setup is started from within Windows, not run from DOS or a bootable CD) no you do not need a CD.

Also note it must be a retail CD, OEM "Recovery" CDs are not always accepted as valid previous versions.

JJB

11. Eve

Eve Guest

once it's already on your computer it should work fine. I wouldn't format though cause if you don't have the cd you'll be screwed.

12. Eve

Eve Guest

Damn it, everytime I have an answer (and it's not often) someone gets there just before me :mad:

13. damnyank

Thanks JJB6486 and Eve - understand what you are saying!;)

14. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

3y3 0wn j00

:D

JJB

15. allan

allan Guest

dy - you got the answer without me ;)

16. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

I posted this earlier on another thread, but I have done a clean install with an XP upgrade,(didnt fdisk) stuck the cd in restarted, wiped the partition repartioned using ntfs and installed didnt ask me for any other cd, I still to this day don't understand why. usually when you use an upgrade cd it asks you for another disk half way through, but not xp home( unless its just his disk) let me know if you get the same results!!:D

17. damnyank

thnax anyway allan;)

18. gustav64

gustav64 Guest

thanx a lot guys! :D

I guess I came to the right place with my question.

19. allan

allan Guest

Yes, this is certainly where I would send people with that question. :cool:

20. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

maybe

Ok was it maybe this... you popped it in and you did a clean install after a format but<<>> before you got to the format screen after xp has loaded all its files and is ready to go . it see's that you allready had a windows installed daaaa daaaaa lol

:D

Try it this way use a boot disk and format , or remove all partions

then try it you will get hey show me the cd from previous versions
    but if you boot off the cd and have a previous version installed it see's that

imho