Installing Win98 on an old Laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scriptasylum, Jan 23, 2004.

1. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

A guy at work called me and asked how he could install 98 on an old laptop. The trouble is that it can only have a CDROM -or- a floppy attached at once. Plus, the CDROM cannot be made bootable in BIOS.

I told him to try to make a win98 boot disk, boot without CDROM support (since the CDROM is un-attached), then copy all the files from the floppy to the hdd. Then, hot-swap the floppy for the CDROM and try running the autoexec.bat from the hdd which I'm hoping will find the CDROM and load the drivers. From there, installation should be cake.

Any other ideas on this one? I haven't heard back from him yet, so I'm not sure if what I said to do worked or not. I thought it was an interesting problem. Apparently, the laptop came with Win95 and a butload of install floppies.

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

If he has an OS already installed, all he needs to do is copy the Windows 98 CD to HD. Then, boot to the bootdisk and install from the location you copied the disk. If he doesn't want to upgrade, have him copy the files to say, c:\win98. Then, boot to the floppy. Type in deltree c:\windows. This will remove the windows folder. Then install Windows 98 from c:\win98\setup.exe (or whatever).

3. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

He has already formatted his hdd before trying to install win98.

4. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

if i'm not mistaken, you can format the HD with format /s C:

then copy the contents of the boot floppy to the hard drive. shut down, add CD, boot, copy CD to HDD, and install :)

EDIT: wouldn't even need to copy the CD to hard drive really..just install :)

5. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

That's pretty much what I told him to do. I will talk to him tonight to see if it worked. I told him to not bother with all of this and get a decent laptop. :)

6. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Well, simply copying the boot files to the hdd from floppy didn't work. He had to copy a few files (CDROM driver) to the hdd and edit a couple of files (config.sys and autoexec.bat I think). He then had to boot from a plain boot floppy, then swap the floppy with the cdrom, and run the edited autoexec.bat on the hdd. The rest was simple.

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Maybe for future use, he shoul dmake a second partition and copy the win98 folder to it. You can run the setup within the folder and it has all the stuff necessary to install windows 98