incrediably stupid question about upgrade.

ok i have a AN7 abit motherboard version 1.

in the manuel it says this. board can support AMD -K& Socket A 266/333/400 MHZ FSB Proccessors.

what is the max Cpu out there that this motherboard can run?

currently the 3200+ athlon XP...

I don;t know if the sempron sckt A lineup will continue beyond the performance of the 3200+, its possible but i have no idea about AMD's plans on this matter...

the sempron's are not 64bit compliant afaik...

Sazar is correct - 3200 is the max and not good value IMHO. I would be frankly amazed to see this socket EVER take anything that outperforms that - so IMHO you are better moving on with your mobo or (maybe taking a swap - I got an Xp3000+ and am itching to go AMD 64, would swap if you made it worth my while, since your 2600 would work in this rig for its future life as a server ;) ) Dunno - maybe you wants to spend the bucks for the 3200 though? Trust me that will be as far as that board can take you though :cool:

hmmi just wait a few months grab a 64 bit 3400 and mobo for it with pci-e and get a new gig of the latest ram.. supose go all out on it. hehe.. i mean my rig is out of date but it still a damn good rig. lol

is there a pressing need for you to upgrade @ the moment...

unless you have a bad case of the upgrade-flu (haven't we all :D ) you could very well wait for about a month or so more and then consider your options then when the time-line for future products becomes clearer...

the nf4 should be here by then and more pci-E variants should be on the market too...

your current rig is more than adequate for most anything... only in gaming terms would you notice a real boost in real-world performance IMO...

damnit Sazar is right again! guess the trade for my 3000+ is off then :p

Mainframeguy said:
damnit Sazar is right again! guess the trade for my 3000+ is off then :p

well I am just sitting here with my dream list and keep thinking to myself what is more important @ the moment...

I have finished playing doom3... nothing else is really catching my attention right now (till hl2 drops) and I am happy with what I have currently...

I definitely want to upgrade but i think with my setup I can hold off for a little bit longer before biting the bullet and purchasing stuff... :cool:

OHHhhhh yeaaahhhh YOU can SAZAR, but Sray?!!! Is it in him? Cause I mean I have a 3000 and I am like having real trouble holding back to upgrade for a month or more..... honestly not sure I can hold out... so just going to sneakily order the odd case here, PSU there, then the mobo - and once the processor is decided - wham - you'll have to hold me down to stop me swapping parts from the old just to see how it runs!

(I already have a spare XP OEM disc on standby - that's how bad it is!)

its an addiction..

I need to find a cure and make millions :D

i can wait.. thats just because for some reason i have a victoria secrets cred card fro my girl now.. its amazing how she can persuade me that this and that is more important that a new cpu.. its gona be the end of me... lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back