Increasing AGP Aperture Size

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by isoacid, Jun 20, 2002.

1. isoacid

isoacid Guest

Is there any way to increase it without using bios, because my bios [awardbios] DOESNT have that feature in it. Is tehre any updates for that bios or any programs that I could use to increase the aperture size?? Thx

2. Crucial

Crucial Guest

This might seem a daft question, but what is the aperture? And what's to be gained from increasing its size?

Don't ask, don't learn.

3. WAM

WAM Guest

are you sure your bios doesnt have an aperture setting or default...id be very surprised, unless your mobo is too old that it doesnt support an agp port?

certainly a bios upgrade is an answer...but go to the mobo website and get the details on the above first

The AGP aperture is an area of system RAM reserved for use by the AGP card for storing textures if it needs to. Since most video cards these days are 32Mb + this setting is not as important as it used to be.

It should be set to half your system RAM if possible, and if not it should be set at some point below or equal to the amount of RAM that you have.

4. isoacid

isoacid Guest

wierd thing is i dont know who made my mobo, the manufacterer is blank, so is the model.

This is what it says

Manufacturer:
    Model:
    Version: N/A
    BIOS Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
    BIOS Version: ASUS - 42302e31
    BIOS Release Date: 18/12/01
    BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

5. isoacid

isoacid Guest

oh yeah, i have a agp slot and my graphic card is a geforce 4 ti4200.

6. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

from what i understand changing the agp aperture size will allow more data to go into the agp adapter(video card). i have never tried to mess with my video card to much so i couldnt really help you on what to do about it.:)

7. WAM

WAM Guest

sounds like you have an asus motherboard...

www.asus.com

i think

8. WAM

WAM Guest

9. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

rewirte bios w/ modbin program

10. isoacid

isoacid Guest

???

11. isoacid

isoacid Guest

I cant flash my bios cuz when I use aflash from asus it just exits right out after it loads up.

12. Tbird94sc

Tbird94sc Guest

thats cause you have to do it in dos. make a boot disk into dos and run it there

13. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i've messed around with my agp aperature setting in the past and did benchmarks... in short, no setting made any noticeable difference with performance. period. i've read other people have the same experience so you might not want to waste your time. otherwise, have fun. }:>

14. isoacid

isoacid Guest

Hmm well something is wrong with my computer. My geforce 4 will work fine, good fps while im looking at stuff that arent to graphical, but when I play like Counter-Strike itll work fine untill there are around 5 characters in my screen. The Fps will drop down to 40 untill I look another way where no one is at. Also my frames drop to 10 on 3dmarks 2001 SE monster truck game video on high detail.

Sony Vaio Rx650
    Specs are:
    1.6ghz
    512 DDRam
    80gb HD [ dont think that would matter ]

15. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Have you checked if the AGP slot is set to 1x or 2x instead of 4x?

16. isoacid

isoacid Guest

Yeah its at 4x

17. isoacid

isoacid Guest

18. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

make sure you have the latest drivers, of course... video (www.nvidia.com), chipset (if applicable).

also, make sure v-sync is off. if it's on and it can't keep up with the monitor's refresh rate (60, 85, 100, etc), then it will drop to half the refresh rate (30, 42, 50, etc).

though you do have a geforce4 (mx 440, i'm assuming) and it should be more than enough to push 99 fps 100% of the time.

19. Winter

Winter OSNN Addict

Actually, before you try any of that you should go and change the max % of the hard drive your recycle been is using up(right-click your bin icon, ckick on properties and slide the little bar over)... 15% sounds like a safe number...

20. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

Look in between the pci slots... The mobo model should be there !!!