Increase speed by tweaking prefetcher settings

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by belveder, Mar 21, 2003.

1. belveder

belveder OSNN Senior Addict

Increase speed by tweaking prefetcher settings
    This is an unique technique for XP, which could improve the performance significantly by tweaking the prefetcher. Recommended hardware: PIII 800 or higher, 512M RAM or more.

1. run "regedit";
    2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
    3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).
    4. reboot.

It will decrease the boot time but double and increase the performance of your XP

2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

It is enabled and set to 3 by default. So if you didn't make any changes before, there is no need to do it now.

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

thats weird!

Thats weird! mine was already set to 5! maybe because i have tweak xp? or becasue i ran bootvis(file from microsoft that helps boot your system faster) i put it to 3 so which is better 3 or 5?:confused:

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

5 is a "no value" that means prefetching is disabled. There has been a tweak suggestion around on the net recommending this wrong setting. Maybe some tweak programs still use it.

5. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Heh... mines set to 5 as well...

strange

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

well

how much increase in performance do you say it would give you?

7. surfbum

surfbum Guest

8. MadDog986

MadDog986 Guest

Mines to set 3 also...