Image Optimizer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Grandmaster, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Anyone have a good image optimizer? I'm putting up some graphics on the web, but, the filesizes are a bit too large for anyone who isn't on broadband. Even when using "Save for Web" in Photoshop, the files are just too big.

So, anyone have one?

2. ~bk

~bk I Political User

15 views and no one knows? :p

3. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

one time i used paint and i found out that thing makes everything so huge! then i used ACDSee for the same photo and it was really compact. i don't know if that will fit ur needs but you should definitely try that program b/c it optimizes a lot better than lots of other programs.

4. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

Image optimizer doesnt really exsist... what youre trying to do in mess with the compression in a jpeg image or gif image. In PS you can do this by clicking File and Save as ... in the File Type drop down selct JPEG and then type in what name you wish to call the file. From there another window will pop up where you can select the compression ratio and quality of the image. Understand that the ratio and quality are related. This also includes how large or what resolution your image is in.
    Now another way to get a better file size is too crop the image or resize the image. Since it is for the web there is no reason to have a large image. As a guideline images (those in nav bars/buttons or logos etc) should be under 50k max. Another thing to consider is slicing an image into smaller parts and this can help load times but that is for a more advanced user. Try working with jpeg compression and see how much you can mess with the file size but understand you are also losing some quality. Check your image dimensions / resolutions (also pixels per inch) and you may just need to resize the image. Hope this helps and sorry its so wordy. :D

5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Ulead smart saver pro 3 is what I use.

6. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Well I knew that already :p

Maybe I didn't explain it that well in my first post. And wouldn't the File>Save for Web be a better solution to use anyways? I think so.

What I'm trying to say is, Photoshop isn't good enough for it! :S

Also, I'd like a program that's free if possible...

7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

8. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

isnt good enough for it?? Photoshop isnt good enough... OMFG. I cant talk to you anymore. :p

9. dadecamp

dadecamp under worked, over paid

IrfanView. Great for slide shows and resizing photos.